1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add/Remove programs annoying problem

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by kingllama, Mar 2, 2007.

1. kingllama

kingllama Member

I recently lost a hard drive that contained the install directories of most of my games, anyway thats not the problem. I have managed to get rid of most of the entires from the lost programs in the add/remove programs list but for reasons best known to themselves, about 9 of them just refuse to delete. Obviously I am not able to access the uninstall files that were lost with the drive.

I have tried removing the registry keys manually but all that does is remove all details of the entry in the add/remove programs list apart from the icon, also the remove button that was available (but not working) before I deleted the registry keys is now not available. I have also tried Magic Tweak although thinking about it, it is probably doing the same thing just in an way that's easier to use.

Any idea how I can get these damned things off the list? I am running Windows XP MCE (SP2).

Cheers

Louis

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  2. bkf

bkf Guest

Go through the registry again, That where all the lists live.

3. kingllama

kingllama Member

I have removed all registry keys regarding the programs from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\uninstall\

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  4. bkf

bkf Guest

Which removed the uninstall information. (at least the pointers to the now defunct uninstall files) You said you just want them off your add / remove list and that will be located in another area. About the only way your going to be able to delete it all at this point is reinstall them then blow them away with the uninstall file intacted. unlesss you know where it built likley 100 files and entries all over the place. Other areas of the registry will make the add / remove links vanish.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2007
  5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

The program CCleaner has a function which lets you delete obsolete entries from the Add/Remove Programs menu. Very easy and safer then messing with the registry. Both ways work but I would recommend the CCleaner method. If you need instructions and/or pictures showing how to do it I can help ya out.

6. bkf

bkf Guest

I agree. I keep forgetting about that program, Old age I think they call it

7. kingllama

kingllama Member

I get error message "cannot delete MSI installer" when trying to delete them in CCleaner.... thanks for the help so far.

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

It sounds like the program is still installed then. Because I believe CCleaner does the same thing the registry hack does but with much much less risk of screwing something up.

9. kingllama

kingllama Member

The program can't be installed. The medium that I installed it on is now somewhere in the local land fill.

10. kingllama

kingllama Member

Surely there must be a way of getting rid of these entries. :(

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Download CCleaner from... http://www.ccleaner.com and then take a look at the picture I uploaded it should be pretty self explanitory.

[​IMG]

12. kingllama

kingllama Member

Tried that.

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well I'm out.