1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add subtitles (HJ split)

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by satsue, Jun 16, 2008.

1. satsue

satsue Member

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but want to join an epiosode that has 3 parts using HJ split. I want to add subtitles and burn it to a dvd. Do I have to join the episodes first and then add the subtitles? Which is the best program to use to do this? Any sugggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. attar

attar Senior member

If HJSplit was used to split the files, then it would probably be best that it join them.
    I assume that the subtitle file is timestamped to the original combined file.

DVD Flick can convert many video file types (mpeg, avi, etc)to DVD format (and optionally burn the disk).
    It accepts .srt .ssa and other subtitles.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_flick.cfm

3. satsue

satsue Member

Thank you!

I'm not sure if the subtitle file is timestamped to the original combined file. What does that mean? Sorry, I'm new to this...The original split file does not have any subtitles. Thanks again!

4. attar

attar Senior member

If the first dialog in a video is at the twenty second mark and is on screen for three seconds, then the subtitles will list the start and end time.

00:00:20,064 --> 00:00:23,181
    Stitch-up. It was a stitch-up.

00:00:24,264 --> 00:00:27,654
    They filmed hours of material

Your joined file and subtitle file should sync-up the spoken dialog with the listed times (the time stamp).

The text based subtitles like .srt and .ssa can be opened in 'Notepad' to examine the times.