1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add Subtitles to ISO

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by HenryCan, Mar 17, 2012.

1. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

I have a series of ISO files that contain films. I found some subtitles for those films in SRT format and would like to add the subtitles to the films. The problem is that there is one SRT file for each film but the ISO files contain two or three films each. I have no idea how to add multiple SRT files to an ISO and have each SRT file synchronize with a specific film on the ISO.

As far as that goes, I have never added subtitles to an ISO that contains only a single movie either but, from the Googling I've done, it sounds easier. But I haven't found any discussions yet of how to add multiple SRT files to an ISO that contains multiple films. Can anyone tell me how to do it? Unfortunately, I have to stick to free tools so that may make it harder to do the task I want to do.

I am willing to convert the ISO to other formats if necessary. For instance, if you tell me how to convert the films in the ISO to AVI, then I can do the rest myself with DVDFlick, which I've used several times. But if there is a simple way to do the task without having to convert the ISO first, that may be even better.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know of a one step to do this.
    You can run DVD Shrink and load the ISO thus:'File' > 'Open Disc Image'.
    Click 'Re-author' and the 'Titles' should be listed in the right panel.
    Drag one of them to the left panel and click 'Backup'.
    Make the destination a folder on the HDD.
    Remove the first Title from the left pane and drag another, repeating the process.

Once the titles are in their separate folders, decide how you want to add the subs.
    If you want to retain the quality you can could run Vob2Mpg to create a single DVD compliant file for DVD Flick and add the subs (you recall that if you specify 'Copy MPEG-2 streams' in the advanced video project settings there will be no encoding required).

===========================
    Edited to correct them grammar.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  3. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

I've done the first part of the job, using DVD Shrink to backup the separate titles on the ISO to their respective folders. That was easy enough. I installed VOB2MPG without incident. When I tried to browse for the DVD and selected the folder containing the first film, it could only see one file so I clicked on it, assuming it was the only file it cared about. That produced an error message: "Could not start DVD. Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompresser could be found." Strangely enough, there are _TWO_ two-hour titles on the left: I thought the first part was splitting the two titles into separate folders? These two titles each have "[PAL] 720x576 4:3" in the Video column and two options in the Audio column: "[DEF] Deutsch 'AC3' 2 chs" and "Deutsch 'AC3' 2 chs". Can I add a suitable decompressor to VOB2MPG? If so, how do I find it and how do I install it. Otherwise, is there some other approach I can try?

Thanks very much for your help so far!

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

Thanks, Attar. That seems to solved that problem because I can now select a DVD source successfully. Thanks also for telling me about that setting in DVDFlick for copy MPEG-2 streams and bypassing the encoding. That should save a lot of time.

Ive done some successful extractions but havent tried making a disk yet so please check back on this thread for a day or two in case I hit any more problems. In the meantime, Im cautiously optimistic that this aspect of my little project is going to work out okay....

I do have some side-issues though so Im going to ask them in separate threads.