1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a new HDD to my PC (xbox related)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by madcav, Nov 17, 2004.

1. madcav

madcav Member

Well sort of....

It's an Xbox drive.

I've got 120g of info on my old Xbox HDD that I want to transfer to my new 200g HDD. (I've already installed Evox etc onto it)

The PC only has about 80g, so there's not enough space for the full 120g to be stored on there. So FTPing from my xbox to PC isn't really an option, plus it's slow as hell.

So my idea was to plug both my drives into my computer (I have two spare slots with the cabling) and just transfer the files from one HDD to the other.

Problem is my PC wont let me see the drive to do it the "drag and drop" way. It can see it fine in the device manager and shows as working fine. But how do I go about networking it (so to speak), so I can see it in with my other drives in My Computer??

Is this possible??

Cheers

2. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

It's not, because Xbox drives use a different file system from PC drives. Windows is only designed to read FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS. Xbox drives are formatted in FATX.

If you have a 4th gen modchip like the Xenium ICE or Xecuter 3, they let you run an "upgrade" wizard with 2 drives hooked up to your Xbox.. it works really well and basically dupliacates all your files to the new drive.

EDIT: you might be able to use those drive "cloning" utilities which do a bit-by-bit copy from one drive to another. Haven't really used them so I can't offer any guarantees that it'll work... and I'm not responsible for any loss of data.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004