1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding another hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by paudge, Jun 14, 2004.

1. paudge

paudge Member

Hi,

I am considering adding a second hard drive to my PC as a back up to the first one. So I would like to be able to disconnect it every time I go online in case i pick up a virus that wud wipe everything. Whats my best option? Buy an externel 200G HD that connects to the PC via USB 2? Best/cheapest place to get it? Or would a second internel one be better?

Cheers,
    Paudge

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

For backups like that I would recomend a second external one. YOu don't need to buy it as an external. I bought an external enclosure for $60 and a 250GB drive for $250, and this total less than the $400 250Gb drives I have seen. But that would only be for data.
    Another option is to make a complete copy of you hard drive to an other hard drive. Then you could just switch them if you get a virus with no program or data loss. This is better for the extreme paranoid and ones that don't want to waste time. But there are disavatages.

I use the external with data dumps, as I like to use it to store mass amounts of data. But will need to also think what do you really want. A mirror of your hard drive or a data storage centre.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Indeed ... get yourself the ADS enclosure for ~$40-60 CAD and you can pop any PATA drive in there and ur set -- and when you are done backing up, you can even pop the drive back into the tower if you choose to. :)