1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding data files to an authored DVD movie

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by darren_e, Mar 22, 2007.

1. darren_e

darren_e Guest

Hi everyone,

I created a fully authored DVD with navigation, chapters, etc...using Nero 7.

I want to be able to add an .exe file (Flash Projector Movie Clip) to the DVD where they can also put the DVD in their computer and play the "flash" executable.

I have tried searching the Internet as well as these forums but I'm not sure I'm using the right keywords to search for this type of subject.

Can this be done using Nero 7 or what program would I need to be able to complete this task???

Thanks in advance!

2. darren_e

darren_e Guest

Well to answer my own question:

1. After setting up your DVD video in Nero, instead of burning it to a DVD, burn it to your hard drive.
    2. Close your Nero Vision program and open Nero Burning ROM
    3. Select "DVD-Video"
    4. Find the saved contents of your DVD video on your hard drive. Copy the contents under "Video" to Nero in the "Video" folder (DO NOT copy the folder to Nero).
    5. Drag and drop your other files you wish to have on the DVD.
    6. BURN IT.

Wow...that was easy.

I don't know why I couldn't find anything on this subject ANYWHERE.

3. attar

attar Senior member

Sounds great, but can you clarify the steps in Nero burning Rom?

====EDIT======
    I figured it out, but here are the steps for average folks like me.

Open Nero Burning Rom
    In the Wizard,left panel, click 'DVD-Video' then 'New' - Wizard closes.
    From the right panel file browser, open the 'Video_TS' folder which contains the dvd files.
    Select all of the files and drag them to the left side panel and drop them in the 'Video_TS' folder.This folder will only contain video files.

Again, drag any data files or folders you need from the right panel and paste them anywhere on the left panel.
    When done, click 'Burn'.

A tip of the hat to 'darren_e'

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  4. darren_e

darren_e Guest

You have to forgive me- it's so easy to omit the tiny details sometimes.

Maybe this will help other members-

Starting your project
    1. Author your DVD the way you want it. Since this write-up isn't about authoring, you will need to search this forum/site to learn more about the subject.
    2. Instead of burning your project to DVD, burn your complete project to your hard drive.
    3. Your saved DVD file should be saved in a folder somewhere on your computer that contains two folders- VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. This is what I will be referring back to when using NERO.

Using NERO steps
    4. Open Nero 7 "Smart Start"
    5. To the left, you should see under "Applications" - "Nero Burning ROM" go ahead and select it.
    6. A "New Compilation" window should automatically open up.
    7. On the left side once again, you should now select "DVD Video" as your choice of burning options.
    8. Several tabs will be on your right- the first tab will be "ISO,"
    9. This should be default-

File Name Length (ISO) = Max of 11 = 8+3 chars (Level 1)
    Character Set (ISO) = ISO 9660(Standard ISO CD-ROM)
    Allow path depth of more than 8 directories (should be checked)
    Allow more than 255 characters in path (should be checked)

10. Next, go to the "Label" tab
    Give your DVD a name using ONLY numbers, letters or the " _ " (underscore).
    11. The other tabs you can leave in their default state. I'm not sure if messing with these is a good idea so I won't comment on them.
    12. Go ahead and press the "New" button at the bottom.

13. In NERO, you should now have your DVD title name with two folders underneath it- "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" these folders are currently blank but you will place your authored work into them.

Final steps
    14. On your hard drive, find the previously saved AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders that contain your authored DVD.
    15. Open your VIDEO_TS folder and select all (CTRL-A in windows).
    DO NOT copy the actual VIDEO_TS FOLDER, you just want the contents inside that folder on your hard drive!
    These files from your hard drive are going to be placed in the VIDEO_TS folder in NERO. You can either drag and drop the files or CTRL-C to copy, and CTRL-V to paste (I'm sure 99% of you already know this though!).
    Once complete, to double check- look inside the NERO VIDEO_TS folder to verify all the files are there and that they match your original VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive.

16. Open the AUDIO_TS folder on your hard drive. In most cases, this folder is usually empty. If it is, then you can leave the NERO AUDIO_TS folder alone. If there is content inside of your AUDIO_TS folder on your hard drive, use the same steps to copy the contents of your AUDIO_TS folder to the NERO AUDIO_TS one.

17. That's it for your DVD files. Nothing else should go into the VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS folders.

18. To add DATA files or NON-DVD related files to your compilation, you have many choices-
    You are free to add any other file to your compilation by dragging and dropping or by copy/paste as long as they DO NOT go into your VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS folders.
    You can even add another folder by right clicking the DVD icon (just above the AUDIO_TS folder) and selecting "Create Folder."

19. You can now relish the fact that you can add DATA files to your DVD compilations. With applications such as Flash on the market- you can make your DVD's interactive with a Quiz or put "secret" .AVI files which can only be watched on a computer.
    Place your advertising schwag such as virtual business cards on your DVD or promotional fliers.

...The ideas are limitless!!

Anyway, I hope this helps and I hope this article is easy to follow.

Enjoy!

5. attar

attar Senior member

Good write up.
    BTW the only other mention of a 'hybrid' dvd is in DVD Lab Pro.
    There used to be a 'Hybrid' button, but that term has been dropped and the (obscure) feature is in advanced burning.