1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding DShow codecs to a portable version of MPC

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Rikoshay, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Ok, I've been reading up on a few programs that you can make portable so you can put them on a USB flash drive or CD, and have added a few like Firefox, Foxit Reader, this AV program called ClamWin, 7-zip, and finally Media Player Classic.

I read in the documentation for MPC on the sourceforge page that you can add external filters if you have the DShow .dll or .ax for that codec. My problem is, that it doesn't seem to work when I go to a computer that does not have those codecs initially installed.

What I've done so far, is create a folder on my USB drive that has MPC and the .ini file within it to hold my settings. Within this folder is another folder called Codecs, which is where I put the DShow .dll and .ax files I found on my computer. When I check under External filters, and see the codecs I added, they are there, but it says <not found!> next to the codec.

What is it that I'm not doing properly here? It said that if I had these files I could play it on a computer that doesn't have them installed, but it doesn't seem to work out that way. I've already done a few things, but today was the first time I checked with a computer that didn't have these codecs installed prior.

Right now, I'm mainly just trying to set up playback for DivX/Xvid and OGM/MKV wrapped files. I also used Universal Extractor to try and get all the components of the FFDshow intstaller and add the main .dll's to my Codecs folder. Right now I'm trying to look for a way to get Haali's Media Splitter to work with this configuration, because all I need to play MKV wrapped files is FFDshow and this.

If anybody has suggestions, links, or the know-how to set this up, please let me know.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

bump

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

MPC has a built in mkv splitter. As for ffdshow, it won't work without registry entries. I would suggest mplayer or VLC.

4. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Is there any way to create say, an .ini file that holds registry entries?

If all else fails, I'll just try out mplayer, because I really don't like the usability of VLC.

Edit: OK, I got MPlayer and it works great, except that the video is cropped off at the bottom for some reason. Have any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well ffdshow is open source so anything is possible.

Never had that problem with mplayer. What build are you running, also what vo?

Available video output drivers:
    directx Directx DDraw YUV/RGB/BGR renderer
    gl X11 (OpenGL)
    gl2 X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
    winvidix WIN32 (VIDIX)
    cvidix console VIDIX
    null Null video output
    mpegpes Mpeg-PES file
    yuv4mpeg yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools
    png PNG file
    gif89a animated GIF output
    tga Targa output
    pnm PPM/PGM/PGMYUV file
    md5sum md5sum of each frame

6. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

MPlayer (1.0)

rc1: "Codename intentionally left blank" October 22, 2006

As read from the readme it came with.

As for the video output, I was using the one that was default used in MPlayerGUI, which is what I'm using as a frontend, and the default VO is directx. I'll check the other vo's out and see if that fixes it.

Edit: OK, I don't know where to get the other video output formats. Can you give a directory, or a URL where they are located? gl and gl2 seem to work the best, but I can't view a movie in full screen properly. It just can't render it in full screen unless I tell it specifically to do so, but then I can only watch it in full screen; I can't view it at any other size normally.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Try it without the GUI.

8. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

I tried it with the GUI that comes coupled with the program on the main site. That one seemed to work for me. I just need to tweak it properly so it uses the keyboard commands I like.

Thanks for the help celtic_d, I think I'll use this setup, even though it doesn't play Ogg Vorbis or Matroska files properly.

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

mplayer works fine here for ogg and mkv files. Only issue I can think of is ARS was recently not working for mkv's. Looks like it is fixed now though.

10. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Could you send some linkage to said fix?

11. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Not sure that it has been fixed. At least not for libavcodec decoding. There is I think a patch, but it basically just reverts to before the problem.

12. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Oh, been a while since I've said anything, but I got MPlayer to work fine with subtitles and everything. Used the MPUI GUI for it, and it works great. Works great with the Ogg Vorbis and Matroska files I had problems with.