1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding new subs to a dvd

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by After8, Nov 17, 2007.

1. After8

After8 Member

Hi there.

First let me excuse if I'm asking dumb questions - i'm a rookie, when it comes to burning dvds etc.

This is my problem! My daughter just wrecked her mums favourite dvd. Fortunately I have a backup on the hd. But unfortunately it seems that my backup did not include any subtitles. Bummer!

I managed to find som subs in the formats *.sub and *.srt. It seems to me, that these subs are ment to be used with DivX movies.

What do I do now. Can I somehow convert/add one of these subtitles and burn a dvd with the subtitle included?

Or do I have to find a tool that converts my dvd-backup on the hd to DivX and then include the subtitle and burn a data-dvd. It must be said that my stand alone dvd-player is able to play DivX and show subs if they are included on the disc.

Or do I have to do something complely different?

Please help me out here - and remember, I'm a first timer... So I would really apreciate a step-by-step guide. And I would also like the tools to use to be user friendly and cheap (or free).

I know, I'm really demanding here, sorry! I'd just like to be able to help my wife here (even if I don't like the movie myself!)

Thanks in advance!

/A8

2. attar

attar Senior member

There are a number of ways to get subs on the backup files then to disk.

One way is to de-mux the video and audio into separate streams, then mux those files plus the subtitles back into a new DVD.

Run 'Rejig' in 'IFO' mode and 'Add' 'VTS_01_0.IFO' from the backup.

On the right window select the video and audio streams, select an output folder and 'Process'.

The video and audio are saved to separate files.

Close Rejig and restart, select 'DVD Author'
    Rejig requires that the subs be in .sup format.
    Use 'Subtitle Creator' to convert .srt to .sup format.
    In Rejig, load the video, audio and subs, and output a new DVD files (with subs).

In Subtitle creator, before saving to the new format, make sure you can see your subs on the window (drag and place them where you like).

Note, this new DVD does not have a menu.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ReJig

http://www.free-codecs.com/SubtitleCreator_download.htm

3. After8

After8 Member

Hi again.

Thanx Attar. That sounds pretty easy so I think even I can manage to get it right. I'll download the tools you mentioned and give it a try. Thanks again.

/A8