1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding subtitles to a ripped DVD

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by stibi, Aug 20, 2008.

1. stibi

stibi Regular member

I have on my hardisk a movie DVD to which I want to add subtitles. I don't mind loosing the menus etc. I even don't mind to loos the existing subtitles. Using TxtSup I converted the relevant srt subtitles to sup. True on http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/Txt2Sup.shtml there is an explanation how to continue after said conversion, however I am not enough skilled to do it. Hence' I wanted to use the method suggested by attar, namely :
    "Subtitles can be added to an existing DVD (a DVD that has been ripped to the hard drive)- but the movie files have to be demuxed to elementary streams (separate audio and video) - then the new subs are muxed together with the audio and video to create a new movie.

It's relatively easy if you don't mind losing the menu and chapters - It's more complex if you wish to keep the menu intact.
    The subtitles have to be in .sup format.
    'Rejig' can demux/mux the ripped DVD."

I downloaded Rejig (zipped), but after opening the zip file I have got a whole bunch of file without a single exe file. Hence I don't know how to continue.
    Thank's for any help
    stibi

2. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  3. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,
    Like always' you were right, it seems I downloaded the source code instead of the installation of Rejig. Now, after installing it, I opened REJig, and used the DVD Backup. Next, I clicked on IFO MODE, in order to demuxing using IFO files, however, when the "IFO MODE - Movie Only Backup" window opened I didn't understand what should I add to the "Titles" and where should I add the sup subtitles file. Could you, please, guide me (detailed as far of possible)? Also' please, guide me how to use the DVD Author.

Many thanks for your help and thanks in advance
    stibi

4. attar

attar Senior member

To demux the ripped DVD, choose IFO Mode.
    Left panel, click 'Add'.
    Open the VIDEO_TS folder and choose the IFO corresponding to the main title.
    Usually it's VTS_01_0.IFO' - in my case it's 'VTS_06_0.IFO.
    Set the options in the lower panels.
    In the right panel, choose the video, audio and subtitles to be demuxed.
    'Process' then quit.

To mux the new DVD with a new subtitle file, select 'Author' mode.
    Load the .m2v video, the .ac3 audio(s) and the .sup subtitle files - remember to set the language for each audio and sub.

To keep the same subtitle colours, select the original .IFO file and 'Create'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,
    Many thanks for your prompt response. The reason of my belated response is, that I had some health problems; and I apologize.
    Now, to the point: It seems, that the system suggested by you for adding subtitles to DVD works; however I have encountered two problems, which I would like you to help me to solve:-
    1)The synchronization of the added subtitles is quite unsatisfactory. I should add, that before converting the relevant srt file to sup (using TxtSup) I have made sure that the subtitles of the said srt file are well synchronized with the relevant movie (in AVI format).
    2)The colour of the added subtitles in the DVD is very strange and it's rather difficult to read them. As mentioned, for onverting the srt to sup I used TxtSup. I did it as follows : First I have loaded the relevant Ifo file, next the srt, and after getting a possitive message, I clicked on "Generate" (I saw TxSup has selected Text Color 3). Since I loaded the Ifo, when I worked with ReJig's DVD Author I didn't use the "Copy Subtitles Colours" option. The colour of the subtitles I see when playing the DVD is kind of green, and not clear. I would prefere to have the subtitles in black colour, without any bacground whatsoever. Of course, I can repeat the TxSup process and select there - out of the 15 colours - another colour. The problem is, that except of colour 3, which seems to be (but it is not) white, all the other 14 options in are black coloured, so I don't know which one to select.
    Finally, I should add that I used the way suggested by you to add subtitles to another DVD movie, and the above mentioned probles were the same.
    3) The last problem : I have in my hard disk several other DVD movies, and when I tried to add (with ReJig)subtitles) subtitles to some of them, it happened that when - using the Ifo Mode - I added the relevant Ifo file there appeared, under the column "Titles" some VTS, however nothing appeared under the columns "Chapters/Cells" and under "Streams".

Just for your information: it seems that the process done by ReJig's DVD Backup can be achieved quite faster by the "Main Movie" option of the (not free) DVDFab program.

Hope You will be able to help me and thaks in advance.
    stibi

6. attar

attar Senior member

To correct subtitle colours, scroll to step 8 of this guide (DVDSubedit)

http://www.acfmovies.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=275126
    When you are presented with a palette that is all one colour, use 'Shift+L Click' to change it to a sixteen colour selection.

For Chapter times in Rejig, there should be a minimum of one chapter listed under 'Chapters/cells' - I haven't seen a movie that has no chapters listed - unless the wrong IFO is selected - unlikely in this instance.

As to faster progs - I'm too cheap to use anything but freeware - also they are the lowest common denominator and everyone has access to them.

7. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar and thanks for your prompt response.

I would, of course, try to correct the subtitles colour; however - unless there is a way to correct the synchronization of the subtitles - correcting their colour is useless.

Can you help me to solve that problem ?

Thanks in advance
    stibi

8. attar

attar Senior member

Is the avi that the subs were synchronized with 25fps (PAL) and is the DVD also PAL or NTSC (29.97fps)

9. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar and thanks for your ultra-fast response.

Sorry for ma ignorance, however, I forgot where am I supposed to find whether the Avi is 25fps (Pal) and whether the DVD is also Pal, or NTSC 29.97 fps.
    Thanks in advance
    stibi

10. attar

attar Senior member

The AVI, shown below, is 25FPS.
    Most .srt files are timed to 25fps.

[​IMG]

The DVD, shown below, is an NTSC (North American) 29 FPS (from film 23.976).

[​IMG]

If you have an NTSC DVD, the .srt file would be converted to 23.976.
    If you had a PAL DVD, there would be no change.

If you have an actual AVI file that runs the same length as the DVD, and you wanted to make an NTSC movie, you could use the AVI and the original, unconverted 25 FPS .srt file, then demux the now NTSC compliant .sup file and add it to your original NTSC movie.
    That way you are guaranteed a synchronized subtitle for your original DVD.

Drag the AVI or the first VOB file of the title onto GSpot.
    Usually (but not always) it's 'VTS_01_1.VOB'
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/gspot.cfm

11. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar and thanks again for your instant response.
    When I checked (with GSpot)one of the Vob files of the DVD, the word PAL was highlited and it showed Pics/s 23976 Frames 23976.

Next I checked the Avi file and GSpot showed tht it's a DivX4 (Open DivX), the word FVOP was highlighted and it showed Pics/s 23976 Frames 23976.

Anyway,to be on the safe site I am now in the proces of converting the same DVD to Avi (Divx), and after getting that new AVI I wil check whether it is properly sychronized with the same srt file. If not, I will repair the synchronization with Workshop, and then I shall convert the repaired srt to sup and try again to add that sup to the DVD.

I will' of course, inform you about the results.
    stibi

12. attar

attar Senior member

I finally got a stubborn movie properly synced to some new subs.
    It involves demuxing the movie with Dgindex and loading an Avisynth script into Subtitle Workshop (in lieu of the vob's or mpeg).

If you run into a problem loading VOB files (they never seem to load properly or show the correct running time and the slider never seems to work right) let me know and you can have the details.

13. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,

Thanks for the information and proposal. Thanks G. so far I didn't have such a problem, however it's good to know.

stibi

14. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,

During oour correspondence on the above subject I have mentioned some problem I had with VirtualDub. Well, as I reported to you, with your help that problem has been solved.

However, since I decided to add to the avi file permanent subtitles, I encountered the following problem: the last step before saving the avi was selecting the video compression. Now, when I clicked (in VirtualDub >Video) on "Compression" the only suitable option I found in the "Select video compression" list was Xvid MPEG-4 Codec. I would like you to adwise me how can I configure that option so that the avi would be compressed not more than absolutely neccessary.

Incidentally, in my PC I have also the Divx codec, so why is it that the Divx codec does not appear on the above mentioned list?
    Thanks in advance
    stibi

15. attar

attar Senior member

For the DivX codec question;do you remember actually installing it.
    Virtualdub is looking for an encoder, so being that the XviD codec is installed, it may be set to open DivX files by default.
    If the DivX codec is installed it should be listed in the Start menu/All programs.

As to compression, you can check 'File' => 'File Information' in VirtualDub to see the bitrate of the video.
    If you configure the default settings on XviD, set the 'Target Quantizer/Target Bitrate' to not less than the rate in the file information you should not lose anything.
    As a general rule, although DivX and XviD are functionally equivalent, if the source is XviD, so should the output.

The size of the file is a combination of compression (bitrate) and running time.
    Lower bitrate means more compression=lower quality.

For best quality, use two passes.
    Here's one of the umpteen tutorials out there.
    You don't have to recompress the audio unless you have a compelling reason e.g. it's something a standalone player wont handle.

My own (admittedly low) standards are happy enough with one pass - and I sometimes forget to change the defaults.
    http://www.noobflicks.com/watch/848/xvid_-_2_pass_encoding

16. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar and thanks for your prompt & useful response.

As to the DivX codec : I have on my PC installed the K-lite codec pack and I supposed that it included DivX codec too. Anyway, I have downloaded & installed the DivX codec from DivX and now I indeed see it in VirtualDub (actually, I wanted to download the codec only, but somehow that comes with the DivX player, though I don't thing I need that player).

As to the Video quality options for XviD: Now I understand how to adjust for the bit rate I saw in the File > Information of VirtualDub. For better quality you recommended to select the the two-pass, unfortunately I don't know how to deal with it (though I saw the video link you sent me). Could you, please, explain it more detailed ?

Now, comming back to the question of adding subtitles to a DVD as you taught me. I have on my PC a DVD movie. I downloaded an srt of the same movie (in a language not consisted in that DVD). Next I converted the said srt (with Txt2Sup) to sup, and then, using ReJig, I added the sup to the DVD. Well, the DVD shows the subtitles, but with improper synchronization. In order to see whether the problem is with the subtitles, I have converted with AutoGk the said DVD to Avi. Now I keep the srt having the same name, except for the extention), and I see that the subtitless are well synchronized with that Avi.
    As you undoubtedly know, in the case of a movie in Avi format, if the subtitles are not synchronized, one can quite easily fix it with Subtitle Workshop. Isn't there a way to Synchronize the sup file with the DVD?
    Thanks in advance for any help
    stibi

17. attar

attar Senior member

I can't do much better than this as far as 2pass.
    http://wiki.digital-digest.com/index.php/VirtualDub:_Two_Pass_Encoding

The new version of DVDSubedit allows you to play the DVD files (complete with audio).
    It also has a repeat feature so that you can sync the subs much easier.
    Load the DVD files with the out of sync subs, select the async stream and adjust it.

I finally got some Dutch subs to sync easily after many attempts with other programs.

[​IMG]

18. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar and thanks again for your prompt - and at least partialy - helpful response.

With your help, I finally learned the 2Pass, so I am now able to convert Vob to Avi, without compressing more than the AutoGK did; so that, in terms of quality, I personally don't observe any differences between such an Avi and the original DVD.

As to the audio quality: Usually, for a non-musical movie I think MP3 128 bit rate is good enough. However, from the "Help" menu of AutoGK I understand, that AutoGK automaticaly chooses MP3 128 Average bit rate which is a kind of VBR; and I have noticed that VirtualDub "doesn't like" VBR. Therefore, I think it's preferable to enter in AutotoGK's "Advanced Setting" and choose CBR MP3. Also, if I deal with a musical movie I think it's preferable to choose "Original AC3" in the Advanced Settings.
    Now, my question is : if in AutoGK I have chosen AC3, do I still have in VirtualDub) to enter into Audio> Compression, select "Full Processing mode" and then AC-3 ?

As to edding subtitles to DVDs: I thik I have to give up, since the DVDSubEdit allows to make only up to 10 seconds correction (in each direction), wheras, for reasons I cann't understand, in my case the differences are longer.

Finally, I have the following problem: it happens quite often,that when I want to add with VirtualDub permanent subtitles to a move I downloaded, VirtualDub doesn't let me to enter, because the audio of the movie is VBR. So far, I didn't find in Afterdawn forums a sulution for that. Perhaps you can advise me on that ?
    Thanks in advance
    stibi

19. attar

attar Senior member

If a video has VBR, VirtualDub loads the file and gives a heads up that it is present - it's not a warning - a valid AVI file should load ok.
    You just have to keep it in mind that it's there..

As long as the appropriate plugin is installed (so that the ac3 is accepted by VirtualDub)and you are not converting or changing the compression, then it will be saved as AC3.

20. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,

Thank you very very much

stibi