1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjust Volume?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by stars1234, Mar 13, 2003.

1. stars1234

stars1234 Member

I want to LOWER the volume of a track recorded to an audio CD.

I've tried everything I can think of but the recorded volume always comes out 100%. I want the CD to be recorded at a lower level.

I have available the following software:

for burning:

NeroBurning
    RealPlayer
    Windows Media Player

for editing:

Sonar

Thank you_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bob[/small]

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

To lower volume you can use "amplify" of Nero Wave editor. Similar to normalizing this will cause some (hardly audible) quanitzation distortion, because Nero doesn't apply dither on volume changes AFAIK - If someone knows better, please correct me!

A free but quality-wise very good way would be to use foobar2000's(http://foobar2000.hydrogenaudio.org) diskwriting feature. It does all processing - including volume changes - in 32bit resolution and dithers (if wanted) down to 16 bit in a final step. The resulting file(s) can be used as nero input. Make soure you uncheck "normalize" (Right-Click on audio-track, preferences, filter), otherwise you'll have 100% peak value again.

This method works for any type of audio file that can be read by foobar2000, including e.g. mp3. If your source is mp3 you could use mp3gain (available at this site's software section) for lossless volume change before decoding (=burning the .mp3 files with nero to audio CD which decodes on the fly).

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member