1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe CS3 suite/Linux distro question

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by hagaren, Dec 21, 2007.

1. hagaren

hagaren Member

Can any of the linux distros run the adobe suite I was thinking of switching to a linux distro and wanted to know if any of them could run the cs3 stuff(i.e photoshop, dreamweaver, and illustrator)

Here is my current system setup
    Compaq pressario f730us notebook

Amd 64bit athlon dual core 1.80ghz cpu
    2gb ddr pc5300 ram
    120gb hd
    GeForce Go 6100 256mb shared graphics cared
    @Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit edition(it came that way)

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

No they won't. The Adobe suite is for Microsoft Windows. Windows is not Linux.

3. equi

equi Member

Man, you seem all-knowing (Windows is not Linux). You should also know that Crossover Office Linux can run many Win programs. Flash MX and Dreamweaver MX included. CS3, not sure, didn't test it, but seems like it will be supported in the future.
    I joined especially for answering to this arrogant and ignorant attitude of yours. Sure hope you don't abuse your "Senior Member" status.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

hey equi.. get this.. we are the linux core group.. we don't give a flying f*** about your windows addiction or applications.

We don't want you and we don't need you.. we are not here to help people (fekkin morons mostly) use linux.. we are here to spread a message.. crossover office is obsolete.. OOo is fine but wine is a POC.. crawl back under your M$ stone and come back when you get a brain eh??

remember this.. we need open source.. open source doesn't need (or care about) us

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Sure hope you find some sand to pound. Soon. Then maybe you should get a "life".

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  6. varnull

varnull Guest

lol @ indochine.. my nomination for mod last year.

time to close ranks and dish out some real bad attitude methinks. Way too many people think they are superior when it comes to *nix..

7. equi

equi Member

and who the heck are you spreading the message to? stones? well i got news for you: people are using computers, not stones, you should treat people better. Otherwise your message is spread out in vane. And actually I was saying that *nix is better because it can even run Win programs but you could`t see past my anger towards other *nix users` attitude and attacked me not my ideas.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Want me to attack your ideas?.. I'm game

looks like another disposable account goes down the pan

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  9. equi

equi Member

I am not familiar with the procedure``. It seems you are, since you so warmly recommend it. I thought about getting a life, but that would mean not spending most of the day (and sometimes night) in front of my computer.
    (``I'm not a native English speaker)

10. equi

equi Member

why? :( come on we can`t be both right, cause we both had different experiences in life and so we see things differently. We should both have that in mind and learn to be more tolerant.
    "I'm game" again, I'm not a native English speaker, i didn't understand that.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Let's play nice people.
    I use Windows and *nix at home, i get paid to use *nix. I don't feel strongly enough about either to get all heated up; heresy it may be but i use what i use depending on what i want to do/how lazy i want to be; everyone has choices, who cares, it's all just software (again heresy, but i can live with it).
    Just let's at least let the original poster come back before i close the thread.

12. varnull

varnull Guest

It would be too much to hope that the OP had ever tried looking for linux graphic manipulation applications like Xara.

Photoshop will just about work with wine.. it's buggy and really slow. A lot of the buttons don't work, or cause a dead stalled display.. (wine being a nuisance and adobe products being large and obfusticated with cheat code.. much loved by M$)

Anyway.. to answer them.. there are applications at least as good, if not better for free native to the linux platform.. google ;)

The point surely tho is.. If you want to run windows applications then why not just use windows.. wine always works better with a full windows installation on a partition (even a dead non-booting partition) than it does with a "fake windows" file full of dll's and junk.. so what is the point. Just dual boot and keep it separate. A fat32 partition somewhere helps as NTFS support is still a little sketchy with some linux flavours.

I moved completely to open source because I was sick and tired of the bloatware and expense of windows things, the instability, lockups, crashes.. antivirus hogging 60% of my ram and grinding and paranoia on every slightly dodgy site..
    I'm sure most people will agree that the only way to get to grips with something different is to give yourself the "no turning back" option.. If it gets hard and you can just boot what is familiar then you will do that instead of solving the issue.. heh heh heh.. To date I only need to run 1 thing using wine.. Nokia phone software.. and they will learn eventually and release the source code.

2 years on it's windows that seems strange and unfamiliar.. slow, old fashioned and restrictive.. once you have been using a machine with 6 workspaces it's incredible how awkward it is to go back to windows... all those damn tabs at the bottom of the screen.. trying to keep track of where you are at while using more than 3 apps at once.. Not productive..

Oh yeah.. and we are still 1337 :lol:
    Dropped this in creakys shoutbox.. dedicated to my pals OzMick and indochine.. keeping it real guys ;)

(can't you tell I won a couple of student journalism awards way back when)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  13. hagaren

hagaren Member

I did do some looking and did find some of what I was looking for. A mod can close this thread if they want it's clearly become something completly diffrent than I intended it to be. I had hoped somone would just point in the direction of some nix alternatives in the spirit of helping the newbie but alas that was not the case

14. varnull

varnull Guest

How about Xara Xtreme?

It's looking very good.

15. horus439

horus439 Member

I don't think that Indochines' original post was very useful. It seldom is when you talk like people are idiots.<p> I came by this thread because I was wondering a similar thing. Lots of people want to get M$ off their computers, and for me the Adobe Master CS3 suite is all that's keeping it there. If there is a torrent out there that can install Linux (like a full Black XP install) and offer a solution that does the same things, then great. But I had enough trouble just getting SNES9x to run on Yellow Dog for PS3 that I don't want to get too involved. If I can run a cracked version of Adobe stuff on Linux then I want to know if it's possible. But if it's this hard to get information out of some uber geeks then I may as well buy an Apple. Jeez.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Let's not talk about cracks/cracking here...

17. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Way to resurrect an old thread. I don't see anything wrong with Indochine's first post, OP asked if he could run them, he got the answer to what he asked.

If you're going to happily steal CS3, then why the objection to running a stolen copy of Windows? The Linux community doesn't need leeches who are just going to make demands and not give back, you won't be missed at all if you walk away.

18. hagaren

hagaren Member

I got my answer and learned something about asking questions here. This thread should really be closed now.

19. horus439

horus439 Member

I suppose I needn't of mentioned that I run a cracked CS3 suite, but if I was happy to spend $3500 on this software that I only use intermittently then I wouldn't be looking at alternatives. Like Equi said apparently you can run Dreamweaver and Flash OK, I'm glad to hear that and this is a start. If anyone has some feedback about how smoothly this runs then that would be helpful. If someone could tell me about a Linux app that can make PDF's and can display indesign documents then that would be great too.

I don't think, Ozmick, that I said I objected to anyone running a stolen copy of Windows, why would I care?

A couple of posters here have just been surprised at the attitudes on display here. I don't think that being a Linux hobbyist makes anyone morally superior. Leeches? Please. Are you guys defenders of the faith, or something?

20. varnull

varnull Guest

whatever.. adobe make shit bloatware applications that are expensive and need 3 years to learn.

Great steal all you want.. carry on with the cracks and patches and all the other excess baggage that comes when you subscribe to an OS that treats you like a criminal and/or pirate even if you pay for it....

I was campaigning against M$ and the business practice of allowing people to steal it back in 95.. Oh yeah.. go ahead and run pirated OS and applications.. AS LONG AS YOU USE OURS WE DON'T CARE... which leads to a world where 80% are locked in to a mindset of pay or steal, whatever you do don't you dare share or we will sue the ass off you... Then one day they come looking for money from the sheep they have created.. and the free people laugh. muahahahahaha..

have a nice day ;)

BTW.. we aren't monsters.. why not ask about FOSS graphic manipulation solutions instead of how to steal/run proprietary closed source non-free shite, and see how helpful we can be?