1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe Encore DVD Size restrictions

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by chainz, Apr 15, 2005.

1. chainz

chainz Guest

Is there a way to add avi files that are smaller than 720 x 576?

I dont want to resize them as they loose quality. There must be some way to add files that are smaller.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

DVD resolution is 720 X 480 (NTSC), so the video files must be that same size. resize it in TMPGENC, you will have to deal with the loss of quality.

3. chainz

chainz Guest

How can I do it so the videos can be any size?

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you can't. dvd video files must be in 720 X 480. thats the only resolution they work in. if you have smaller files, consider making a VCD or SVCD. they use files with smaller/lower res

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Not True... DVD"s Can be Made in Many Different Resolutions it is Just that the Full D1 Resolution(720=480/576-Pal) is the highest Quality DVD Format and the Most Commonly used...

There are 4 DVD standards that use 4 different resolutions and these are them...

Full D1.........720+480 NTSC......720+576 Pal..

Broadcast D1....704+480 NTSC......704+576 Pal..

Half D1.........352+480 NTSC......352+576 Pal...

CIF/SIF.........352+240 NTSC......352+288 Pal...

So you can use any of these 4 Resolutions to make a 100% Compliant DVD and when useing these Lower resolutions DVD Formats you can Fit much more Video on each DVD than you can useing the Standard DVD Resolution Like over 6 hours of Video when useing the CIF/SIF DVD Format....

To get Adobe EncoderDVD to author DVD"s useing this Resolution you Might have to Go into your Project settings and Change the DVD Format used or simply encode your AVI files to one of these Resolutions Before Loading them into EncoreDVD....

Cheers

6. chainz

chainz Guest

Thanks Minion. Looks like encore dvd will only take 720 x 576 and 704 x 576. :(

Unless you know how I can chage that because I dont know.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I"m not a EncoreDVD user but since it is a High end DVD Authoring Program then it should support all of the DVD Standards...

What I would do if I were you is use a Standalone Mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc or even Better Canopus Procoder or CCE SP to encode your Files to Mpeg-2 useing the DVD Standard you want to use and then use a Different DVD authoring Program to Put the Files on to DVD...
    I suggest that you Maybe Try "MediaChance DVDLab Pro" as it has Pretty Much all of the Features as Adobe EncoreDVD accept that it doesn"t have a Built in Encoder but it does support all of the DVD Standards "AND" it will also let you Author VCD and SVCD Files to DVD without re-encodeing them which is very Handy when downloading Movies that are in VCD or SVCD Format that you want to put on DVD...

Cheers

PS: Useing a Good Quality Standalone Encoder will also Give you Better quality than useing EncoreDVD to encode your AVI files to DVD....

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I was unaware about lower res DVDs...but I do know that Encore only creates full res ones at 720 X 480

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

You should give the Other DVD Resolutions a Try especially if you Need to get a Large ammount of Video on to a Single DVD...

When useing the SIF/CIF DVD Standard (which is Basicly the same as the VCD standard accept that Mpeg-2 and AC3 can be used) you Can Fit over 6 hours of Better than VCD quality Video on a Single DVD and when useing the "Half D1" resolution you can Fit over 4 hours of Better than SVCD quality Video on a Single DVD-R.....

Cheers

10. chainz

chainz Guest

Thanks for the Help Minion. I got Canopus Procoder and It seems to be pretty good. The only thing Im not happy with it Encore DVD not taking any smaller than 720 x 576, I really want to use this. I might try the other program you mentioned.

You have been a big help, Thanks again.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes, Give DVDLab Pro a Try as it is Very Easy to use But it has Very Good Menu features and Supports all of the DVD Standards and also a Couple of XDVD Standards Like it will author SVCD Files to DVD without re-encodeing which is really handy for Backing up SVCD"s to DVD.....

Cheers

12. chainz

chainz Guest

Geez! Converting it to DVD will make the file 3.5 Gig. How can I make it smaller but still have really good quality?

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

What is the Resolution of your source File and what Resolution and Bitrate are you encodeing it to??

14. chainz

chainz Guest

I used the wizard.

From -

File Length : 00:45:44:11

Video Info :
    Frame Size : 320 x 240
    Frame Rate : 25.00 (fps)
    Video Codec Name : DivX Decoder Filter (DIV3)
    Interlacing : Non-Interlaced
    Video Aspect Ratio : 4 : 3

Audio Info :
    24000 Hz 16 Bits Mono
    Audio Codec Name : MPEG Layer-3 Decoder

To

MPEG Target
    720x576, 25.00fps

16 bit, 48000 Hz, 2 Channels

I used the Wizard and just selected dvd.

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well your Source File only has a resolution of 320+240 so when you resize it to 720+576(Pal) the Quality gets ruined this is Because you are Increaseing the Resolution by over 400%....

Try encodeing this File to Mpeg-2 at 352+288 not useing the Wizard then you will notice that the File size is much less and the Quality should be better than when you encoded to 720+576 then author it to DVD with a Program like DVDLab or Tmpgenc DVD Author.....

Cheers