1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ads DvdXpress Thin black line

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Sleepmore, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Sleepmore

Sleepmore Member

Does anybody know how to eliminate the black line on the right hand side of the screen when they capture analog VHS tape with DvdXpress?

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Try a different VHS machine.
    It won't matter anyhow, if you're going to put the video on DVD. The TV overscan area will hide it.

3. Sleepmore

Sleepmore Member

I haven't burned it to a Dvd disc yet, but when I play it on my laptop in WinDvd, the black line is still there. Are you saying that TV's automatically hide the line black line? I'm in the process of buying a different VCR to see if that makes a differance.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

TV's have an area around the whole screen that you don't see. It's called overscan, and can be between 8 and 30 pixels.
    In 99% of cases, capture devices will pick up the misalignment of the VCR heads, and generate noise of some sort on the top, bottom or sides of a video. This is almost always invisible on the TV, although it can use up bitrate during encodes.
    A good VCR, such as the JVC 9000 series, are usually better for poor quality VHS, but can be very expensive, even now. A TBC device such as the Canopus ADVC-110 can compensate for a poor VCR, but cost more than most VCR's do nowadays.

5. Sleepmore

Sleepmore Member

Thank you Robotjim. I'm going to see if I can purchase the JVC you mentioned.

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

ROFL!

7. pfh

pfh Guest

Reboot that robot!