1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Analysis/Deep Analysis in Nero Recode & DVD Shrink?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DGenerate, Oct 19, 2004.

1. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

I'm wondering if most people use the Advanced Analysis (Deep Analysis in Shrink) feature in Recode and Shrink. Is there a noticable difference between using it and not using it?

Also, Nero has a feature (which I'm not sure if Shrink has) called Slow Encoding for better quality...again, is there a noticable difference between slow encoding and normal encoding?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes, yes - and yes :)
    Always use Deep Analysis, Slow Encoding, whatever you can, in Shrink or DivX or whatever!
    Quality is everything.
    The time taken is quite irrelevant.
    The differences are very noticable.
    I don't think many people use this Nero Recode since we are unsure how to answer your queries.
    You must avail yourself of all info, tech info accompanying your program, and all the info Ahead Software can supply to you.
    YOU must become expert with your own software, then you will be in a position to help others, if possible.
    Regards

3. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

My personnal guess is:
    DVD shrink advanced analysis = recode slow encoding.
    Just different names for different applications.

I also have both but I'm pleased with the quality output from shrink.
    I always use the analysis with "smooth" setting. You will remark that smooth setting takes longer to encode, compared to "sharp default" setting.
    The only way to tell the quality of both is to take the same part of a movie, encode both, burn and compared.
    I was not able to find such comparison.

4. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Hi again, OGS and Ric -

As it goes, I have been using Deep Analysis/Slow Encoding for all my backups so far (a whopping 5 DVDs!). I was just curious...I'd hate to waste a load of time for nothing!

You're right, of course, I should learn my software, though as I understand it, Recode and Shrink are virtually the same (minus the ripping aspect of Shrink, but I used Decrypter, anyway). I'm just surprised that seemingly so few people actually use Recode. I mean, if you've got Nero 6 Ultra, it's right there, so why not?

As for doing the same DVD twice and comparing...no offence Ric, but I don't think that's going to happen! :) I'm not being lazy, I just don't think I really know what to look for at this stage, but if someone were to point out a difference, I would probably "get" it.

Anyway, if the status quo is to use them, then it's good enough for me.

5. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

Some people are satisfied with the quality of a VHS. They will probably not see the difference if you compress at 60% without deep analysis.
    I'm a bit picky on quality image but satisfied with the current quality. I am trying to avoid compression level below 70%. I will split on two DVD. Maybe I'll keep them on one when DL disks will be cheaper. Let's hope!

6. giraff36

giraff36 Member

i mostly use nero recode after decrypter as it gives you more options i.e burn same project again if im going to do a back up for a family member not in the haboit of doing multiple back ups as it strains my burner and ties up the computer. and i always use deep analysis and sometimes burn2x but perhaps im being to careful. if nero doesnt work i try shrink and last resort is dvdx rescue

7. Red_Beard

Red_Beard Member

First - this site needs to allow Guest posting - there are thousands of people who can answer your question, but none of them want to go through the process of creating accounts on the 800 or so forum sites like this one. I was just feeling nice today.
    ----------

First, recode and shrink are almost exactly the same in quality, and are usually fairly low on the spectrum. Recode's saving grace is the killer interface for controlling content and compression ratios. Shrink's is okay, but Recode is the best software available period for that.

If you want to know what difference deep analysis makes go here:
    http://dvd.box.sk/articles.php
    note the many available comparisons of the orginal to recode to recode+DA.

If you want to know which recoder's work best this article is the best information period:
    http://dvd.box.sk/articles8.php

There you have it. Knowledge for all. Now for god's sake, turn on guest posting so those of us with the answers can help out without being inconvienenced and our mailboxes filled with spam.

-Red Beard

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

DGenerate, Hey, it's me again,LOL

[bold]though as I understand it, Recode and Shrink are virtually the same (minus the ripping aspect of Shrink),[/bold]

Exactly right but remember recode does burn and shrink doesn't, along with shrink rips and recode doesn't.

Shrink and recode are almost exactly alike, I have made over a hundred backups with both apps. There are small differences and I believe that Mr. Shrink also works for Nero, go figure :>)

Actually there are lots and lots of recode users out there, interface is almost exactly the same, Both use still image(tho recode did it 1st) and compression works the same way, not a lot of difference.

Quality settings differ slightly and I give the edge to Shrink, but only slightly. If there is any compression I use quality settings, what's an extra hour compared to years of viewing pleasure?

As far as which to use, too close to call, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Both are good, dependable, and easy to use. Can't go wrong either way, boils down to a personal preference.

Best app out there for quality? EASY!!!-DvdRebuilder and CCE basic, hands down IMHO! Hard to tell difference between copy and original at compressions up to 50%!

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Red_Beard, Welcome to AD, just wanted to let you know there is an unsubscribe option to the threads, that way no email notifications :>)

BTW, that thread you referred to was the one that spawned one of the largest threads in AD history I believe. Several of the softwares used in comparison are and were outdated including Shrink and Recode. Both have made quite a few improvements since then. There is a world of difference between shrink 3.2 and 3.1, and same for Recode :>)

Check it out, it was started way back in early June of this year.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88038
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  10. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Red Beard - thanks for going through the trouble of helping.

bigorange -

Yeah, I've read a bit about it...so it looks like I'll have a look at that next, though I don't know if I can justify spending another $60 on CCE right now, in addition to the $40 for DvdReMake...Lord knows I spend enough money on stuff as it is.

Anyway, by now I've done about 10 backups, all using Advanced Analysis and Slow Encoding. You're right, it's only an hour.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

DGenerate,

I completely understand LOL, but one thing, you don't really need remake with RB/CCE. If I had to make a choice, I'd go RB/CCE, it's so good, editing is not necessary.

You could always get Remake later ;>)

12. Red_Beard

Red_Beard Member

Actually,
    Shrink: Rips, recodes, and BURNS.
    Recode : recodes & burns, but you'll need to DVDDecrypt first.

Yes, Shrink burns.

RB

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Red_Beard,

actually Shrink does NOT burn. It uses Nero, Decrypter, or Copy to DVD to burn. Since you can set it up automatically to do that within the app, you never have to open any of these programs. But, shrink on it's own cannot burn.

It's default setting is auto burn with Nero, so if you have Nero installed on your PC, that may be why you thought it burns. Trust me on this one :>)

14. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Should not run DVDShrink directly on the DVD,
    you should always rip to harddisk with DVDDecrypter (in file mode) first.
    Huh?
    If you direct the output of Shrink to your harddisk, then there you have it.
    You can burn it once or 10 times - nobody's going to run a backup each individual time (I hope :)
    Greetings RedBeard - always room for 1 more arrogant newbie! Since you have all the answers, we look forward to your generous assistance (if you're feeling nice that day).
    L8R

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]If you direct the output of Shrink to your harddisk, then there you have it.
    You can burn it once or 10 times - nobody's going to run a backup each individual time (I hope :)[/bold]

LOL, I second that, you would certainly hope, LOL.

Actually, with Nero Express you can burn multiple copies from the shrink temp folder, even if you didn't write to the hard drive. Express will automatically choose the files it needs to burn a perfect backup. Just click and drag the entire folder into the express window. (Don't try this with a lot of other apps' temp folders)

16. Red_Beard

Red_Beard Member

Well, yeah I know it burns using the nero subsystem. My point was that you don't need to go to the extent of making an image then burning somewhere else. And since we were talking about recode vs shrink, i'm assuming they have nero installed.

RB

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Red_beard, you said,

[bold]Actually,
    Shrink: Rips, recodes, and BURNS.
    Recode : recodes & burns, but you'll need to DVDDecrypt first[/bold]

Then after I reminded you that shrink doesn't burn, that it must use Nero, decrypter, Copy to DVD or some other app, you said:

[bold]Well, yeah I know it burns using the Nero subsystem. My point was that you don't need to go to the extent of making an image then burning somewhere else[/bold]

With the same logic if you have anydvd running in the background, then you could say Recode rips, recodes and burns because you don't need to go to the extent of opening another app somewhere else.

The point is Shrink DOESN"T burn without another app and recode DOESN"T rip without another app. By saying shrink will burn is confusing to people who are learning. Shrink does NOT burn, period. Both need the assistance of another program to complete the operation of DVD backup :>)

18. Red_Beard

Red_Beard Member

Okay agreed, revised Shrink statement follows:

Shrink will rip and recode.
    In addition, if you have Nero, DVD Decyrpter, or CopyToDVD installed, you will be able to have Shrink burn your disc also. This can be useful for unattended backups, especially when using a DVD-Rom & DVD-Writer in combination. For a complete freeware solution, I endorse Shrink+DVDDecrypter.

I hope that is clear now.
    RB

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

That'll work :>)

20. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

A bit late, I know, but thanks bigorange! :)