1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced menus with nero express?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by hersnab, Jan 25, 2005.

1. hersnab

hersnab Member

Firstly I hope this post is in the right place, this is my first post even though I am a long time user of this site for info.
    To burn/re-encode DVD's from .avi files etc. I use Nero Express which came with my TDK dual layer burner, it's reliable and fast and suits my needs, the only gripe I have is that the menus are extremely poor. You can tell a DVD that has been made using express a mile off.
    Pre-installed on my computer was a program called Sonic MyDVD which offered excellent menu manipulation, you could add as many submenus as you liked and all the menu's features were tweakable. Shame the encoding of the video took around thirteen hours compared to Neros hour and a half. Also more likely than not I'd get up in the morning to find the whole thing had crashed! So this program is a big no-no. I tried just creating a menu and saving it as DVD files on my hard-drive but it would not attempt it without content. (Thirteen hours to still have to burn the thing!)Also if I do use a seperate program to create quality menus is it possible to use it alongside express which encodes my videos to DVD files? Can I bypass Nero's menu system? In express when you add video files to project I assume I would have to add the menu then, how would I get the buttons to correspond to the videos? Am I asking to much? Is there a program which would encode at a similar speed as Nero with a better menu system to save to HD then burn in Nero?
    Anyone who has used Sonic MyDVD will understand about the menu's in Nero. But I don't want to have to wait over-night for an .avi file to be re-encoded to DVD files when I know Nero can do it faster?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. hersnab

hersnab Member

Apparantly not!!!

3. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

i assume you mean nerovision express.if so,click more on the bottom and untick create menus and then select to copy the converted files to the hdd instead of a disc (not to the image recorder as that will just create an image).then use your sonic program that you like so much to open the converted files and create the menu and burn.

if you already have the converted files on dvd or hdd,just use sonic to open the vob files only and dont open the others with sonic.im not sure exactly where the menu is stored but i think its somewhere in the bup or ifo file or somethin.you dont need any of these files.the vob files are the movie files and its all you need.i think it may affect the chapters tho.

i find nero extremely slow for conversion.i highly recommend winavi video converter for the conversion.it will create the video_ts folder with the dvd files in it.then just use sonic.

4. hersnab

hersnab Member

Thanks for the reply, unfortunatly Sonic MyDVD doesn't recognise .VOB files! So I'm now going to do what you said but use DVD-lab for the menus, I'm still trying to get my head round how it works it's a lot more confusing than MyDVD, shame, seems nothings easy!

5. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

oh man thats a shame.well im glad i could help,its just a bummer you couldnt do it the way you intended.

there still may be a way.what formats does sonic support?

6. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

7. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

um..adder01,what program would you suggest for creating a simple menu?i have ten avi files which i converted to vob with winavi.how do i burn them with a menu that just simply allows me to pick the titles seperately?