1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice? Cheap but DVD-R compatible Standalone Player?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by F43, Feb 9, 2005.

1. F43

F43 Member

Hello :)

This is a follow-up to an earlier message about my successfully burned DVD-R (on a Japanese Fuji -R of a NON-CSS disk) The finished backup was burned with Nero 6.3 and it will only play on my 2 computers :(

Need some concrete advice/experience for a cheap player that is confirmed to play Fuji DVD-R disks burned with Nero?

I know there are many variables in all of this but after having burned another DVD-R successfuly that will also NOT play in my standalone (Akai DVM-9500 5 Disk Changer) I am thinking I need to find a locally-sourced (I'm in the US) player? If it doesn't work for me, it goes back!

Thanks for any experience/advice? Regards, F43

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah buy the cheapest one you can find at Wally World. It will play anything. The brand will probably be Apex, Sanyo, Venturer ect... something you dont hear of to much, but they will play anything you throw in them and most of the time you can pick one up for under $40

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey f43, can your burner do the + format?

Add walmart's cyberhome to the list of bbmayo's.I've been hearing that they play recordable dvd's pretty good.If the new one doesn't play your backups,take it back for another one.Wal-mart will gladly exchange it.

You can also try slowing down the burn speed to see if that akai will work.

4. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Yeah I snatched an Apex for like 19 bucks after turkey day. It plays everything I throw at it. Mpg's Avi's like someone on here said it would probably play a cheese pizza if the the crust was thin enough. Worked flawlessly for over a year now "knock's on wood".

5. brobear

brobear Guest

I recently purchased a Philips at Wal Marts for about $69. Good brand and also relatively inexpensive. It plays all the DVD formats, plus audio CD, CD R/RW, VCD, SVCD, MP3, MPEG4, DivX, and varied other formats. I bought it because my older Samsung would only play +/- R and it was a bit picky on those. I haven't tried the pizza yet. One of the kids will probably get around to it. ;)

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi guys

to add another is COMPACKS, yeah never heard of um, hehehe, i got 2 different models they love dvdr's!

;-])