1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for new build

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by veezee, Feb 17, 2008.

1. veezee

veezee Guest

cpu - intel allendale E2160 1.8ghz $74
    mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L $90
    memory - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $45
    vid card - SAPPHIRE 100206L Radeon HD 2600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported $60

-I aready have a WD caviar 320 gb HDD, dvd burner, keyboard, and monitor.
    -I am going to overclock the cpu. Im a newbie and am not sure how cheap i can go on the psu and case (I found this antec earthwatts 500w for $55. Do i need 500W?)I dont care how the case looks. Was looking for some suggestions. Im not looking to play FPS games only RTS.I would like to run vista if possible. Im also going to be importing my minidv tapes from my camcorder and editing them. Can i go cheaper on the video card?
    Im trying to keep this build around $300 while still having a capable system. Your input is very much appreciated.

2. esrever

esrever Regular member

I can tell you right now, Vista eats up resources like water oxidizes iron. I'd go with Win 98 or something.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

That's a joke, right? I am not a fan of Vista, but suggesting Win 98 is pretty lame.

4. esrever

esrever Regular member

Best operating system I ever owned. Well, by best I mean minimal problems and issues.

On a side note, lovely grandchildren you have there, BW. I'm looking to start a family of my own soon.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Windows 98 SE was good, not so sure about 98. Still you can't honestly tell the man to Run 98 on a computer like that!

Dude those parts will Run Vista fine, but I suggest you use XP SP3, it will work much better. Don't go cheaper on the video card. You COULD go cheaper while keeping the same performance, but only if you trust rebates.

As for the case and PSU, get this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...33183 K&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&CMP=OTC-GOOGLEBASE

If you want to overclock your CPU you will need a aftermarket cooler. Something cheap like a Freezer 7 pro will work perfectly fine.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=FA...8842e4a8a100254210b8d6dd1c5d9427c193ca132647c

6. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

LOL @ the windows 98 recommendation... ummm 4 real dude I mean, its a decade old...

anyway, I'm assuming the 300 dollars for the system does NOT include OS cost? in which case I would definitely get vista home premium for around a hundred dollars.

On a side note, if you're anywhere near a MicroCenter, I suggest you go there sometime soon (before the 27th I believe).... They have a sale for the E2160 for 60 bucks or if you want to spend a measly 26 dollars more then your listed price (74), you can get the E4500 for 99.99!!!
    The sale is in store only I think so you cannot buy online.

7. zing512

zing512 Guest

As of right now I would stick with Xp Pro. Windows 98 was a good Os but is out of date. Win Xp has much more Plug and play capabilities then 98. Which will be good as far as Video editing. If Your Planning on Any kind of video editing and not much game play i would stay with the 2600pro. You may want to think about a mobo with crossfire on it so if the graphics isn't what you wanted you can just add the same video card to pump it up a lil more!

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Come on guys, this isn't even a discussion. Why the hell would you use Win 98?

9. zing512

zing512 Guest

Can You even buy win 98 anymore?

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't think so.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The win98 discussion ends here. It's not a viable option for a current gaming PC. A lot of software now requires a minimum of Windows 2000.

Hardware choices are good, you should be able to overclock easily with it. See our official overclocking thread for help.