1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice needed on choosing TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by o770, Jul 1, 2005.

1. o770

o770 Member

The thing is that I was just about to buy a Samsung TV of good reviews and Philips releases a new TV that I haven't got a chance to try at the store yet. Both are flat screen CRT TVs. Samsung is 21" and Philips 25" of screen size. The only reason why I haven't got the Philips yet is because it's got no component video inputs. And I want the TV for my bedroom to watch DVD.
    My biggest concern is that the Philips might not have the component inputs because of inferior quality of image? Would thinking like that be unjustified?

I would trade the component inputs off for the larger screen and live with S-Video but I was hoping I could get a few comments from you before. Just as reference, there are the links for the avaialable specs:
    - Samsung
    http://www.samsung.com/br/products/tv/telaplana/21cl_21n11mq.asp?page=Features
    - Philips
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/2/25pt5541_78/25pt5541_78_pss_eng.pdf

Thanks a lot for any comments!

2. a-vman

a-vman Member

On a TV that size you won't see the difference between s-vid and component on DVD.

3. o770

o770 Member

thanks a-vman.
    Pls consider this as my biggest concern: even if the screen size isn't large enough so that any difference between the s-vid and the component inputs could be noticed, does it make any sense that the component video says something about the quality of the TV? As if the Samsung can output better img than the Philips just because the Samsung has the component inputs?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  4. a-vman

a-vman Member

The specs really don't tell me enough, but the samsung is probably capable of more resolution. But resolution won't mean nearly as much on that size TV screen. I would gladly exchange component inputs for more screen. Now if you are talking 42" against 50" or larger then the components start to become an issue.
    Hope this helps.
    Allen