1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by artus, Jan 4, 2005.

1. artus

artus Member

I have a Philips dvdr 1000 that I took in for repair to a philips repair shop on 11/20/2004, they called me in december and said that they couldn't repair the dvdr 1000. Since it was under warranty, philips would repalce the unit. On 12/31/2004 the repair center called me and said that philips would repalce it with a dvd740vr!!!

Question, I think the dvd740vr is like a tivo kind of unit and its not really what I would call a dvdr unit, should I tell them to put the dvd740vr where the shine don't shine and hold off for a regular dvdr unit like the dvdr 615 etc? I already have a direct tv/tivo unit and I was using that to record to my dvdr 1000 (which I loved!!!). Thanks in advance to any advice.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I googled the model dvd740vr,and it doesnt look like its even got a dvr with it.It looks to me like its just a dvd/vcr combo.
    Id tell them to shove it,the dvdr 1000 cost alot more I believe.Dont accept anything other than what you paid for, unless they want to upgrade you for free.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Ok I just did a search for both the models listed and I havent found the 1000 for under 1000$(usd)
    The other model is not listed for over 200:http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Philips_Philips_DVD740VR_DVD_VCR

WOW thats really nice of them to offer you such a good deal LMAO

4. artus

artus Member

Thanks for getting back to me. I thought it was piece of sh*t!!! I thought it was a low end modle and not even close to a dvdr. I did call them and I told them they would have to come up with something better. of course they said they would get back to me. Maybe I will hear from them sometime in Feb!!! What ever it takes I will play out their waiting game. Thanks again for yer input.

5. artus

artus Member

Well philips called me back and they said they would replace my dvdr 1000 with a hdrw720/17, they said this model is 3 steps above the dvdr 1000, anything thoughts on this model. Thanks in advance again........

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

*edit*

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

8. artus

artus Member

yea its alot better than what they first offered, I did some research on it and it does seem a little bit better then the dvdr 1000. I guess I will take and see what happens, after all its free....Thanks again for putting up with me.

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member