1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on a new TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ian1324, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

Hi, my first post here for about 3 years. Although I'm a massively infrequent poster, Afterdawn is always my go to place for any tech help, always get useful relevent advice (compared to the flaming a trolls on almost any other forum)

I'm looking to upgrade my 32inch Toshiba Plasma TV with a 40-42 inch tv in the next month or so.

My computer is hooked up to the tv by HDMI, and the tv is almost exclusively for the PC (games, films, music etc all come through the pc).

I'm a bit confused between LCD, LED and Plasma (I know the general differences between them, but most things online asume your looking to use a tv for actually watching tv, not PC lol.

I know that I should run the PC and the native resolution of the TV. Currently I run my PC at 1768x992.

So, my questions/requirements are:

Which is the best type of TV for use with a computer?
    I would only be watching HD things at 720p, as 1080p files are bigger and I think the difference will be very minor at 40". Would should I take into consideration?
    I play alot of PC games through the TV, hooked up with HDMI (I use GeForce gtx460)
    What is the implications of refresh rates, and which would be the best for my needs?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd be really greatful if someone could help me out here - I know if I go into a store I'll be blinded with sales patter and will end up with a TV they want me to have, not the ones thats best for my needs.

Many thanks for reading, I look forward to your replys.

Oh, and merry christmas!

2. Methalin

Methalin Member

I'll try to be of some help...

I don't think it matters which type of TV as regards LCD, LED or plasma. Many people will go for LCD with a PC, but there can be LCD sets where text can be a little (very slightly) blurry which is obviously going to be annoying when blown up to full HD etc.

Basically sets will vary whether they are LCD, LED or plasma – but most folks seem to steer away from plasma when it comes to TVs (some are worried about image burn etc, though I think that's a thing of the past).

Whichever you choose, I'd be inclined to try and go full HD. While some folks say at 40 inches the difference between 720p and 1080p isn't really noticeable, I believe it is. But all this is rather subjective of course!

I'd probably be inclined to look at an LED model myself, they're becoming more and more the choice...also you can get ones with a lot of connectivity these days, there's a review of the Toshiba 37UL863 linked (admittedly slightly smaller than you'd like) linked – this one for example has an ethernet port, integrated wi-fi and suchlike.

Rambling a bit now, but hope that's of some use!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012