1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on buying a New Unit

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bossiemay, Feb 22, 2005.

1. bossiemay

bossiemay Member

I am in the USA, so no non-standard models, please. But, I have about $10,000 to spend on a TV, home theatre, etc. With that in mind, what would you suggest? I am not interested in gaming. I must
    buy at Best Buy.

One thing is important: My room cannot be changed due to a dominant fireplace/therefore, the seating is rather close to the TV. Thanks!

Bossie

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Just out of curiosity, you say you have $10K. Why do you have to go to bestbuy? Are we talking bestbuy credit or out of your ass?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  3. MarkGil

MarkGil Member

I am quite familiar with BBUY offerings,so maybe I can get you started,but you have lots of decisions to make on your own. Sorry if this is long,hope your eyes don't glaze over.You didnt say how large a screen you wanted. If you want, say, 50-60" widescreen HDTV you can look at very excellent rear projection units without blowing most your budget on the TV alone as you would with a Plasma HDTV. The 2 common choices are DLP (Digital Light Processing) or LCD (Liquid Crystal Display). Without getting too technical,both processes are excellent and have their strong points.DLP is a highly digitized process that results in high contrast levels and black levels ,while LCD results in better colors,smoother fast action,and in my opinion,a more natural,overall easy to watch video. You will have to look at them yourself,decide which one you like.The Most popular BBUY brands for DLP are Samsung ,LG,Mitsubishi.For LCD.. Sony and Panasonic. Cost on any of these depending on size and brand $2400-4400. My own opinion is the Panasonic LCD rearpros are the biggest bang for the buck at BBUY.If you decide to go plasma,that will add greatly to the cost. A 42" HD plasma sells for $4000-5000 depending on brand,a 50" somewhere close to $7000. As far as DVD players,look at one of the "up-converter" DVD players (sort of converts DVD to HD),Toshiba or Samsung,less than $200. As far as Surround,their best offerings are Bose and Yamaha. Avoid the "home theatre in a box" systems you are better off mixing and matching poweramps and speakers. Yamaha poweramps,Bose speakers/subwoofer,would be my own choice. Then be prepared to drop a couple hundred on HDMI cables etc. Finally,you will probably need to decide how you want to receive your HD programing. Satelite (Direct TV),Cable, or local "on the air" digital broadcast. Direct TV will require out of pocket cost of an HD receiver, aprox $300 in addition to the service. HD cable doesnot require the purchase or ownership of any receivers,it is included in the service at monthly cost. Save some of your budget for future purchase of a "real" High definition DVD player which will hopfully start to surface by next year. Hope this all helps,have fun.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Get an Optoma H76 Projector, its the best bang for your buck - awesome machine. Get a Marantz SR5500, combine them with Bronze/Silver Monitor Audio Speakers. Get a Marantz DV8400 DVD player. Connect via component Q.E.D. cable.

Chris

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005