1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Formatting Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by gwendolin, Mar 6, 2007.

1. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Heres where I show my lack of computer skills. I want to wipe EVERYTHING from my C drive, including Windows so that I can "Start Again".(is it called formatting??)....and re install Windows, and all other progs...I have my windows CD but wouldnt have a clue what to do. I have backed up everything I want to retain on my sons external HD.

All help is appreciated, Cheers.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Before you reinstall, MAKE SURE you have your windows cd key, and that you have all your software and driver cd's/dvd's handy.

Simply insert your windows cd, restart your system, it will then tell you that you should press a button to boot from cd, do that, then go through the menu's, it will ask you if you want to do a repair install (or something among those lines) or a clean install.
    Choose the clean install.
    It will then ask you which partition to use, in your case that would be C:\ of course *if you have several hd's or partitions it will give a list, so there's little you can do wrong there*, then choose to do a quick format, and installation will start after that.
    After the a while the system will reset, and the final install will start, the system will ask for the key, and if you want to activate windows.
    After that, all you need to do is reinstall all your programs/drivers, and copy back your data.

3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@The_Fiend, Thanks for the info, I tried that and managed to re install windows in my name however my daughter had a lot of rubbish on the comp that I wanted to get rid of, now it wont let me into the files under her name that stayed on my C drive.

I have a lovely EMPTY selection but I want to delete hers...maybe I should have done that prior to the re install.....anything you can suggest.

OK I think this is where I bombed out...??

4. snaggs

snaggs Guest

gwendolin; I think this a first seeing a post from you where you are not giving out good advise and help.

Anyway...I use killdisc free..http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm I use the CD iso...just to insure a clean drive before I reformat. if you have a floppy, you will need to dissable floppy in BIOS, and configure boot sequence, and boot priority, depending on BIOS version, then insert killdisc and boot, it's a DOS format with BIOS interface..easy to use!
    then after you wipe the drive, boot from windows also ! and reformat.
    I always wipe the drive before I reformat...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@snaggs, Thank you also for your reply. If I d/l this prog can I just run it without doing all this bios and floppy thingo..that part I cannot understand or can I just do as The_Fiend has mentioned (again this time properly)

Take me out of the Nero Forum...or possibly the Newbies and I am out of my depth.

6. snaggs

snaggs Guest

no, the Killdisc is a boot disc..iso image burn it ..then you need to boot into it , so you need to configure BIOS to boot from a CD

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  7. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@snaggs, Help in the form of my son has arrived...he reckons he can fix it for me, I'll let him have a go and report back...probably tomorrow...it's getting late here, Cheers and thanks to you BOTH for your help...it is much appreciated.

8. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Since the installation is new...it won't really be much of a hassle to start fresh...yet, again!

This time....during setup, after you've chosen to install new, you're going to see the list of partitions. Look at your menu options, and delete all the partitions on the C drive. Then...create a new one. Just leave the options for the size of the partition at it's default setting (uses entire drive) unless you want to create more partitions on it.

From there.....choose Quick Format. Your new install will not have anything left from anyone.

Then...as Fiend suggested, reinstall everything in this order:

Chipset drivers (motherboard)
    Video drivers
    Sound drivers
    XP updates
    Firewall

9. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Thank you to ALL who have assisted, everything successfully completed , Cheers.