1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on My Compy Build

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LastMastr, Jul 10, 2007.

1. LastMastr

LastMastr Regular member

Well no no its not, from what ive read on this thread and from reviews the E4300 is better for overclocking.. adn the E4400 is better stock.. but what about overclocked?

IDK im new to this stuff, thats why i ask.

And since weve only been atlking about an intel build?

AMD has cheaper dual core proccesors with higher FSB's what would be better teh amd or the intel build?

Oh and i finnaly chose a case :D

The Antec 900
    Ive seen them in person and there real nice. Expenisive but nice. :D

http://www.antec.com/Detail.bok?no=558

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They are nice cases, I've got one. To keep them quiet, set all the fans to low speed, that's all you'll ever need.
    As for the CPU, both the E4300 and E4400 are great overclockers, but I can forsee the 4400 ending up at a higher speed. Suppose it depends what the cost difference is. The AMD CPUs only have a higher FSB because of HyperTransport, they're slower CPUs, and they don't overclock anywhere near as much, but they are cheap.

3. LastMastr

LastMastr Regular member

Im probalby gunna end up getting the set up you recomended.. but i might spend a little more on the vid card and ill probably get that badass powersupply you first showed me :D

OH yea, i liked that video card, but it has DVI, i need the other connection >.> i forgot what its called...

but yea...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@LastMastr

Before you "finalize" your build, could you tell me your current budget and what parts you already have? As I would like to submit my own recommendation for your new build. And as stated since price is a issue I would go with a AMD processor they have a better price to performance ratio.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most graphics cards come with DVI to VGA dongles nowadays, so you can run VGA monitors off DVI ports. Even with these dongles attached, there's no loss in the quality of the image.
    As for the X2 CPUs, granted they're a little cheaper, but given the price of some of the low-end Core 2s now, I'm seeing little reason to go with them.

6. LastMastr

LastMastr Regular member

Well i honestly dont have a a inmind price range.

500 is reasonable.
    700 i can strecth for.
    800 i can bleed for.

I dont know.. it really depends on what i want, keeping in mind that im going to go with the cheapest but nessacary, but badass, parts possible.

Like that Gigabyte mobo does almost everythign the 680i board does, but lower fsb on the memory for example.. thats alright. Gigabytes mobo is good.

Then i need the minimum vid card to play Halo2 that one for 100 bucks is good too..

Ill probably end up getting the E4400 anyways..

The case is probably the only thing im splurging on cuz i like it soo much...

And im probably gunna get a Hiper Type-R power supply.

The hdd.. id get the most gigs for the least amount of bucks.. not goign over 100 dollars...

Id wait on the CD and Floopy Drives...

I need DDR2-800 Ram...

I have a good sound card :D

So im trying to keep it as low as possible and still have a good rig...

But i cant say i have a limit, cuz im tryign to get money from other people..

liek right now i have 300 i can spend.. but tommorow or a month from now i can have 1000 :|

who knows..

With this computer i think i hit about 800 already... :S but im almost there rofl.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well it sounds like already have a pretty good idea in your mind of what you want. My suggestion with the memory is to buy from Crucial or Corsair for performance memory. I know you can get a 320Gb SeaGate drive for US $80 so that might give you a idea what things cost. Anyway the build sounds good and if your set to get the E4400 then I really don't have anything else to suggest.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I used to recommend Hiper Type-R units, but the number of reported issues since has been less than satisfying, so now I recommend the Corsair units.
    How about:
    E4400 and GA-965P-DS3 $236
    Corsair 520W $115 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001&Tpk=corsair+520w
    Samsung 320GB $75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152054&Tpk=Samsung+320GB
    Corsair 2GB PC6400C4 $67 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

That's $493 on the important bits. A half-decent case, card reader, Optical drive should make it total under $600.

9. LastMastr

LastMastr Regular member

Im sorry but I play on a pc similiar to the one i want at the local gaming lounge. It has the ANTEC 900 case. The one i want, and the Hiper TYPE-R ps. And the same crucial memory we listed. but i cant make out the board, but i know its runnin a E6600. and this huge VID card. i just dont know what it is cuz its soo dark in that room.. rofl...

But.. the antec with the 900 looks awesome. And thsoe comptuer sare on alot. and that place has been open about 5 months. And it looks to me as though those PS can hold it out. Plus arent they under warranty?

But yea..

Recomend me a better video card.. More Bang for less Buck..

Just in case last moment i can upgrade to a the quad proccesor and a better vid card :D maybe a 680i MoBo

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm pleased to see Hipers are popular with your gaming lounge since they come from my country, and I own one and have had no problems. However, that's not to say many haven't. I typically recommend the Corsair 620W unit.

The Antec 900 case is good looking to some, I own one of those as well (the same PC with the Hiper PSU in fact) but it's not to everyone's taste. Despite that, there are loads of them around, so many that I now consider them 'common'.

As for the video card, perhaps try for a 7950GT, quite fast but affordable.

11. LastMastr

LastMastr Regular member

I know what you mean, the other day my freind called it FUGLY and iwanted to cry. :'(

But i really dont care if there common, its hard for m eto choose a case that i actually like. And the 900 does it for me :D

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's funny, two of my friends both used the exact same word, fugly, including the f infront of it.
    To be honest, it's not a 'nice' looking case, it's an evil looking case, which in the eyes of LAN goers is good.
    However, my other case the NZXT lexa, attracted the comment "we must kill your PC before it turns into a cyberman". Not sure how I responded to that, don't think I did!