1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice please guys on Graphics Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by porge2390, Oct 17, 2007.

1. porge2390

porge2390 Guest

Hi guys,
    i am running an ATI RADEON X600 graphics card. it is fitted in my Fujitsu Siemens P6701MC Scaleo PC running XP Media Centre.

now im no gamer so im not after a massive mega powerfull card, the reason i want to upgrade is, i have just obtained a Samsung SM2232BW 22" Widscreen monitor, this is a fantastic monitor very spec'd up. it also has a DVI-D digital input as well as the std VGA.

i watch Digital television and DVD movies on my PC and want to watch with the best quality.

So i want to know what Graphics card would be the best to upgrade to which obviously has a DVI-D output and will give the best digital picture and speed etc.
    the amount of money i want to spend is about £50-£60 GBP max so any advice would be muchly appreciated

Regards Neil

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For standard definition DVDs there's no real need to change from the x600, you'll hardly notice a difference. Besides, for that budget you can't upgrade much anyway.

3. porge2390

porge2390 Guest

just thought i would let you know, i obtained an ATI Radeon X1600 and using a DVI-D cable there is a far better picture, no ghosting, crystal clear fonts (some letters were fluffy before) and as for Digital TV its like High Def, can now run 1680x1050 pixels on my 22" WS monitor, well worth it.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair enough. I never noticed much of a difference between VGA and DVI with my old monitor (my new one only has DVI) but maybe I had a better VGA port/cable.