1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise Needed On Media and DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djlen, Apr 29, 2005.

1. djlen

djlen Regular member

I am in a bit of confusion right now over a sudden inability to burn movies that will play in my stand alone player (Zenith).
    A week ago I finished up a spindle of 100 Taiyo Yuden blanks that burned very close to 100% using DVDD and DVD Shrink for the most part and occasionally burning with Nero.
    I just opened a new spindle of 100 TY's (from same outlet - SuperMedia) and have had about 5 out of 8 failures using the same applications and the same player.
    The problem is that when I give the 'failures' to friends to try in their players, they always play fine.
    I guess my questions are, is it possible to get a bad batch of the same media, from the same outlet especially considering that they are TY's. And if so, why do they play OK in other people's players?
    I have tried every conceivable variation in trying to burn these last few movies successfully and they just keep coming up 'unreadable' on the player.
    One last question.....is there a brand of DVD player that is noted for reliability, more than others. Someone on this forum once told me that the cheapo K-Mart players are sometimes more reliable than the higher priced ones, such as mine.
    Any advise/feedback on this would be appreciated.

Len

2. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I have 2 Apex players and they will play anything you throw in them. Model# 2500 and 1150, 2500 being the better of the 2. It's an older player not sure if you can find that exact model. Some standalone player like +R some -R, some have no problems with both. Not sure abought your zenith you would have to research it. Go with the media that the manufactor of your burner recommends. Usually TY's and Verbatum are good choices. You can also run some of your media threw nero cd quality test and go with the media and speed of burn that gives you the least amount of errors. Typically it is recommended to burn at 4X depending on the write quality of your burner, you may be able to burn faster.

Good Luck

Spacedust

3. djlen

djlen Regular member

Here's a quick story on the above.
    I had to go down to a store today that caters to DJ's to pick up some speakers.
    I just happened to have 4 discs that would not play in my Zenith player with me. I bought the speakers and noticed that they had a DVD player hooked up to a TV. I asked if I could try to play my 'bad' discs in it just to see if they'd play.
    Every one of them played perfectly. They had a bunch of these players (Kenwood) on sale so I picked one of them up as well and this should put an end to my problems with unplayable discs.
    I've been fighting for months to get a picky player to accept my movies. No more!!
    I guess the story about cheapie players playing everything is an accurate one.

Len

4. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

I have used media called Hi space, up to 150 of them. I have never had a single problem, and as atated the cheaper the DVD player the better they are at reading any disc (well in my experience anyway)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I own an expensive panasonic dvd recorder and a toshiba dvd player both have problems with what disks they want to play I will get skips and freezes. I own an older Apex and a new cheapie Cyberhome and they play everything, they are not as sensitive to the errors that may be on a disk. If I want to test and see if a disk has errors I just put it in the Toshiba, if it plays through I know I have a good burn because it is so sensitive.

6. gamename

gamename Regular member

yeah i know, i have a very exspensive player in my living room that is supposed to play everything (i thought) but it doesent.i have an old cheap plyer in my bed room that i bought 3 years ago that plays everything(even dvd9-r media) go figure?

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

djlen

If you could, can you see what the media code is for the first spindle of TY's and also one of the new TY's that you are using currently?

At least we could see if in fact they are the same as they should be.

Thanks, let us know :)

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Best bet for playback on finicky set top players (cheapies as well) is to use good high quality dvd+r media booktyped dvd-rom. My brother has a high dollar JVC set top player that doesn't like the dvd-r or dvd+r backups that play fine on my set top players. Since booktyping +r media to dvd-rom they play fine on his too.