1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adwcleaner has removed all passwords

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by bauld1, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Thanks 2oG,hope all is well with your wife,take your time no rush.
    Cheers
    bauld1

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

ok bauld1, tell me ALL about your setup:
    how many computers?
    Laptop has visa ultimate?
    desktop has?
    what browsers will you use?
    what internet service you use? DSL/cable or ??
    do you have a router? wireless? maybe a hub?
    how many hd's on each? size?
    anything else you have? tell me all.

I'll put together a plan to protect your computers...... feed me the info and give me a little time.

I had the same badguy that you had about 2 weeks before you. Just nearly lost all my system, apps and data but, lucked out and defeated it.. We'll get you set up..

2oG

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  3. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    Hope all is well.
    Desktop- acer Aspire X3200 AMD Phenom 8550 Triple Core Processor 2.20GHz
    Windows Vista Home Premium Version 6.0(Build 6001:Service Pack 1)64 Bit Operating System

Laptop-Windows Vista Ultimate CPU T2370@1.73GHz 1.99 Ram 965 Express Chipset family
    Version6 (Build 6000) 64 Bit Operating System.

Cable Internet (Fibre Power lol) Desktop connected straight into Router (cisco)(phone also connected to router)
    Laptop ran wireless
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    bauld1

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

what internet browser will you be using in each puter?

5. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    Mainly IE on both,but,Chrome sometimes.(mainly for Gmail)
    Opera has been installed on the laptop,but never used it before,so don't know if it's good, bad or maybe the one to use on the laptop from now on?
    Cheers
    bauld1

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

IE is no one's browser of choice; Chrome or Opera are solid options.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i use ie8 on both xp & win7 by choice.

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I have problems recommending IE to anyone. It is the biggest target for Adware and Malware. If I want to get my Ad’s to the masses and make more bucks I go to the most wide spread advertiser like CBS, NBC, ABC and NOT KDUM in Hoboken, Rhode Island.

p.s. I also have problems recommending Chrome, it's made by Google who has no respect for your privacy and tracks you..

p.p.s. Comodo Dragon and SRWare Iron do not have these privacy concerns. All of the code has been screened by the developers of these products to make sure that these privacy concerns have been removed. Also, Comodo Dragon comes with the option to enable Comodo Secure DNS, which will automatically stop you from connecting with most malicious sites.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  9. aldan

aldan Active member

giving the dragon a try as we speak.thanks.Al.

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

aldan,
    Just because I'm pointing out some good points to be looked into before selecting a browser, doesn't mean I'm recommending it.

I do think that Comodo Dragon is the best of the Cromium Browsers but the adblocker plug-in is still in Beta which is a hold up for me.

I say I have problems recommending IE but that don't mean I'm totally against it. A novice has trouble getting the plug-ins and tweaking IE to make it safer but lots of people use it without many problems. Mostly because of their browsing habits. Good browsing habits and common sense is the key to safe browsing, not the Browser.

I thought you were a Firefox man... Have you looked into Comodo IceDragon? Based on Firefox and really good as far as I'm concerned. Look it over here: http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/icedragon-browser.php

Regardless of what other approaches you take to protecting your computer, I would suggest that you use a Secure DNS Server with malware blocking capabilities. Two of the best are Comodo Secure DNS: http://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/switch/
    and Norton DNS: http://nortondns.com/

Neither of them will slow down your connection. In fact, you may even notice an increase in speed. Each of these will block known dangerous sites, but at the moment Norton DNS is more effective.

I load Norton DNS in my router. That way any computer that connects is protected..

2oG

11. aldan

aldan Active member

im using adblock plus with comodo dragon and it works well.its not the beta either.by the way,isnt Hoboken in New Jersey?LOL. gave up on firefox a while back.just too glitchy.

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

yeah, but Hoboken, RI is so small that it's not on any map or atlas. LMAO

Guess dragon finally got adblock out of Beta. That's great.

What you mean Firefox is glitchy? I don't have any probs with it..

Try IceDragon, I have it on my wife's laptop and she likes it. I really haven't used it enough to give a decent referral... It's just FireFox without the glitches and even more secure...

I have my wife in the hospital right now but, am trying to put together a generic security list for bauld1 when I have the time. YOU HEAR THAT, BAULD ONE???

2oG

13. aldan

aldan Active member

im really liking dragon.firefox would lag when i watched videos on msn and considering i have an hd4870 video card and my processor is a phenom 8650 with 4 gigs of ram i thought that was unusual.didnt do it with chrome or ie,just ff.i better quit hijacking bauld 1s thread.cheers.

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

we love you. just slip in any old time.....

15. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi Everyone,
    Sorry, was at a family Christening,thanks for all the input.
    When I type in winver it says version 6,does that mean its windows 6.When I first turned on the laptop and had a quick look at Opera,I'm sure it said windows 7.(maybe i'm just old and confused).Will have a look at Dragon.
    Aldan,the more the merrier,many thanks to all.Take care.
    Cheers
    bauld1

16. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Win 6 is Vista - gotta go work now

17. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Ah ok thanks 2oG,thanks again for all your help.
    Cheers
    bauld1

18. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    Hope all is well with you and your wife.Had a look at Comodo,seems ok,not installed anything in laptop yet.
    Not sure about the Norton DNS,had Norton anti virus installed on desktop(ran out 2yrs ago)but still keep getting pop ups to re install.(the desktop pobably needs a good clean too!)Will try the Comodo DnS,(when I pluck up the courage lol)
    should I install Avast or the Comodo Anti virus,I assume if both installed they would/might work against each other.
    I stream a lot of sports,would the DNS block these sites(probably where alot of the rubbish comes from).You can let me know your thoughts,when you have time.
    Many thanks again,take care
    Cheers
    bauld1

19. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hi bauld1,
    Sorry so long getting back to you. Wife’s better, thanks.

Which Comodo are you looking at? Dragon or IceDragon?
    Norton Secure DNS is somewhat better than Comodo DNS. IMHO
    It should not interfere with your sports in any way. It’s not a program, it just takes the place of your ISP dns server that has NO secure blocking on it. It blocks malware, viruses, bad URL’s, etc. And you have some choices with Norton as to what you want blacked..

In order to get rid of Norton AV that you have giving you pop-ups, you must use the Norton removal tool. Download -> HERE.

Here are my personal rules for setting up a secure computer. It’s a layered defense against varmints getting into my computer, and it works!

1. Always use a router - even if you only have one computer that you’re connecting.
    Think of it this way. Do you need a lock on your door? The router functions to lock the Internet away from your computer. You must request something before the router lets it through.

2. Use a Secure DNS server – This will filter your requests and block many bad URL’s, viruses and malware. It’s best to set your router to this DNS that way all computers using it are protected. Or, you can set each computer to use the DNS and it works anywhere they are connected.

3. Use a Firewall – this will stealth the ports so the bad guys can’t find a way in. For XP use a good 3rd party Firewall. For Vista and Win 7 the windows Firewall is very good to use.

4. Use a good AntiVirus – the two top free ones are Avira and Avast. I have used Avira for a long time but lately have found that the newer version conflicts with other programs that I use. I have switched to Avast and Love it! It has 8 real time shields, a browser cleaner and lots of neat free extras..

5. Choose the Browser that you like and are comfortable with then:
    Get the ad-ons, plug-ins and extensions that will make it safer.
    I use: AdBlock Plus with Malware domains list and Easyprivacy + easyList, WOT and HTTPS – Everywhere.

Any questions, just holler…

2oG

20. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG,
    Glad all is well with your wife.
    I was using Comodo Dragon,and will use it for a while to see how it goes.
    I will install the Norton DNS,Avast and have a look at the Adblock plus.I assume adblock plus,dos the the same as superspyware and the likes.
    Should i run things like adware cleaner,superspyware etc on a regular basis,or with the DNS and other methods you have mentioned not require this(if that makes sense lol)
    Again many thanks for your time,patience and Knowledge.
    Cheers
    bauld1
    ps shoul the automatic update be turned on?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013