1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AdwCleaner- removing but not removingTrymedia/Conduit

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by bauld1, Jul 18, 2013.

1. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG
    apologies for delay,tried scannow nothing happened, not tried the blow job yet,a friend has a pump,be the end of week before it gets done.
    Been looking through internet regarding the Error message - seems quite a common problem caused by Avast!Maybe you can suggest a free anti virus thats good until Avast sort out the problem (there are hours and hours of reading about the prob with several different options)most are saying to uninstall Avast.
    Again thanks for time and help,take care
    Cheers
    bauld1

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Be sure avast hasn't removed any critical system files before deleting it & before you install any other antivirus software crap create a system backup image your more than likely going to need it, or you might just get lucky & it won't flag critical windows system files as viruses & promptly delete them.

3. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi scorpNZ
    thanks for the heads up,the problem seems to be compatabillity between Avast and microsoft, I dont think Avast is removing any files or anything.There are tons of forums on this problem all with different answers,(my head is spinning with the amount of stuff lol)i thought the easiest way would be to ditch Avast(sadly) and try something else till the problem was resolved,but Avast blame microsoft and vice versa,so maybe it will not get fixed.
    Thanks again take care
    Cheers
    bauld1

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

a friend ran into a similar problem with norton av & his lexmark all-in-1 printer when he did the once a year renewal of norton. printer won't work because of the new version of norton so lexmark blamed norton & vice versa. norton or lexmark will eventually get the problem resolved til the new year version came out & it will start all over again. his son who was working in the IT department at wells fargo told him to remove norton & put on avg which i did. i think it was a lexmark issue as ran into that when upgrading that friend's computer to an intel dual core & the lexmark software would cause my flash drive to hang til i removed the lexmark usb cable from the computer. told afterwards when he eventually replaces the lexmark not to get another 1 but maybe a hp being his b\w hp laser does not cause issues.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

with the fan kicking up to high and blowing hot air out sounds like heatsink in stopped up and a good blow job, like DDP said, should take care of that.
    My wife had a little Lexmark that always gave trouble. I threw it into the trash and gave her an HP. No problems after that..

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

@bauld1, haven't heard from you in a while. Did you get the problems ironed out?

7. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG
    apologies for the delay.I used a can of air specifically for comps and it seems to have eased the problem with heating up and not working as hard.
    I removed Avast!(sadly) and so far so good no error messages have appeared,i am using AVG and it seems ok.Anyways again many thanks for your time help and patience,Take care
    Cheers bauld 1

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Good to hear from you bauld1.. No apologies necessary..

If you will use Avast! you would be better off. It's much better that AVG and I can prove it if you want me to..

Good that the blow job worked for the heating problem.

Have a Happy! (whatever)
    2oG

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I didn't really mean it like that... I meant, if you COULD use Avast! it would be better but "What a man's gotta do, a man's gotta do" LOL

10. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG
    lol I would prefer to use Avast,but according to all the posts about the error problem,update service packs or use an older version of avast,which seems a bit crazy,most people seem to have uninstalled Avast,so maybe they will get their act together and get it sorted,I wont hold my breath lol.
    Unfortunately Microsoft and Avast blame each other,so I cant see an end to this problem in the near future.
    Again many thanks for your help,take care.
    Cheers
    bauld 1

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hi bauld1,
    I have been using Avast for quite some time now and have never had a single problem.

On another computer and my wife's laptop, we have Bitdefender Free. It has a better record for malware/spyware/virus removal than any other free AV and all but 1 or 2 of the paid AV's. No settings to fool with, just install and forget it. When it finds something and quarantines it, you have the option to restore and ignore. Great for the very few false positives it finds.. My wife loves it but it's not for the "want-a-be geeks" that like a lot of settings to fiddle with. LOL

12. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG
    I like things plain and simple lol.I think thats part of the problem with Avast-trying to do a bit more on the comp rather than just a virus protector.
    Ill run with AVG for a while and see how it goes,if not happy I'll give Bitdefender a try.
    cheers
    bauld 1

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Testing by AV Comparatives
    A non-profit independent testing company

Typically, more than 100,000 malware samples are used for the test. These are prevalent malicious files of all types that have been recently collected, i.e. within a period of a few weeks or months before the test is performed.

These test are for the Top 5 Free AV’s

File Detection Test

1. Avira Free -------- 99.6%
    2. BitDefender Free - 99.3%
    2. Panda Cloud Free - 99.3%
    3. AVG Free ---------- 98.4%
    4. Avast! Free -------- 97.8%
    5. Microsoft Free ---- 97.0%

Real-World Protection Test

1. BitDefender Free - 99.8%
    2. Avast! Free ------- 98.6%
    3. Avira Free -------- 98.3%
    4. Panda Cloud Free - 97.9%
    5. AVG Free ---------- 95.3%
    6. Microsoft Free ---- 90.3%

Heuristic Behavioural Test

1. BitDefender Free - 97.0%
    2. Avast! Free -------- 87.0%
    3. Panda Cloud Free - 85.0%
    4. Avira Free --------- 84.0%
    5. AVG Free --------- 83.0%
    6. Microsoft Free --- 77.0%

Performance Test Lower is better..

1. Avast! Free ------- 1.3
    2. BitDefender Free - 2.4
    3. Microsoft Free ---- 5.6
    4. Avira Free --------- 6.1
    5. Panda Cloud Free - 6.3
    6. AVG Free --------- 7.1

Final Ranking

1. BitDefender Free
    2. Avast! Free
    3. Avira Free
    4. Panda Cloud Free
    5. AVG Free
    6. Microsoft Free

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is the BEST and a good choice for those who do not wish to fiddle with a lot of settings.....

Bitdefender has always provided a free edition but the previous version uses the old 2009 engine and the latest version now is running the current virus detection technologies that can even run on Windows 8. The Bitdefender Antivirus free edition comes with real time scanning that is called Virus Shield and an auto scan mode that periodically checks your system. Game mode is fully automated and will be enabled when it detects a full screen game running.
    This antivirus is made to be as simple as possible because you won’t find any more setting options other than a few buttons to enable or disable the virus shield and auto scan. To scan the whole drive, you simply right click on the drive letter from Explorer and select “Scan with Bitdefender”.

2oG

14. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 20G
    Wow big difference in the results,ok you have me sold,Bit defender it is,my daughter got a new laptop recently and her free trial of Macafee is up,I will put Bitdefender on hers to.
    Again many thanks for your knowledge,help and time
    Cheers
    bauld1

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

you must register it and leave it connected to bitdefender for it to remain Free when the trial period runs out. But that's no real biggie...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013