1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After format PC dvd burner wont burn faster then 1.2x

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ripper357, Nov 18, 2004.

1. ripper357

ripper357 Member

Hi, I just reformatted my PC and now my dvd burner will not burn faster then 1.2x. I have a dell 2400 with a 40 gb hard drive and a maxtor 200gb added on. The burner is a pioneer 108. I was using nero and alchol 120. It worked perfect before I reformated my PC. Any thoughts Thanks

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

When you reformatted did you make sure your IDE ATAPI drives settings didn't revert back to PIO instead of DMA?

DMA transfers data between system memory and hardware devices without passing it through the CPU, PIO mode consumes more CPU time, and transfers data more slowly than DMA mode. Because of this, using PIO mode for DVD drives can adversely affect performance.

I'm just guessing tho.

3. ripper357

ripper357 Member

No Im not sure. How do I check and if they are set wrong how do I chang it. Thanks

4. ripper357

ripper357 Member

Is this how I would do it

Try this..........

Go to Device manager> IDE ATAPI controllers>
    Check the 1st and secondary IDE controller. One at a time, please.
    This is how.
    Double click the 1st IDE controller, now under the advanced tab,
    be sure the transfer mode is at DMA if available.
    If not, change it to that.
    Do the same for the 2nd controller.
    Then reboot.
    If this doesnt change the transfer mode to DMA, then you will have to uninstall the IDE controllers.
    Right click the IDE controller and left click uninstall.
    Also uninstall your burner using the same method, right click the burner and left click unistall.
    You can do this for both. Then reboot. Xp will automatically reinstall them and this should fix the slow burn issue.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

ripper, try this,

Your ide settings need to be DMA, not PIO. To check these go to: control panel > performance and maintenance > administrative tools > computer management > device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > click on + mark.

Right click on each driver and click on properties and then hit the advanced settings tab, under transfer mode pick "DMA if available". Done.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

oops, sorry, you've already answered your own question, LOL. Let me know what happens, OK? :>)

7. ripper357

ripper357 Member

I did what it said and now I have this error "Driver is not intended for this plat form" I dont know what to do now??? Please Help

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Did you get this message after you uninstalled your driver and rebooted your PC and let it reinstall your drive?

Or after you changed it to DMA from PIO. There was no need to do that after changing to DMA, unless you were getting an error message.

I would go back and completely reinstall your driver using the add new hardware wizard, make sure your settings are DMA, change them if they are not, then see what happens.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  9. ripper357

ripper357 Member

It happend after I unistalled and rebooted. Do you think my DVD Burner could be broke? Should I reformat my PC again? It workde perfect until I reformated. When I checkd the IDE ATAPI it was at DMA. Thanks for all your Help Bigorange.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your welcome :>)

OK, that's what I figured, Reinstall your burner(no, i don't think it's broke) using your "add new hardware wizard", just like you did the first time when you bought it. Change your settings to DMA if needed. Do NOT reinstall by uninstalling and letting your PC install by rebooting. See what happens :>)

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

BTW, you said you reformated your PC. Are you talking about your hard drive, if so, to what? All 3 of my HD's are NTFS, are you on FAT32 or NTFS? Is that what you reformated or did you change OS on your PC?

Please tell me you didn't go to SP2 :>(

12. ripper357

ripper357 Member

I reformatted just the drive the operatin system is on. I used the Disk Dell gave me so I used XP and I went to Microsoft and DL the quick updates and I believe it might of installed sp2. ALso it is NTFS. When I uninstalled both IDE Controllers my cd burner has the same error. "Driver is not intended for this plat form" every time I reboot. Thanks again for all your help.

13. ripper357

ripper357 Member

Do you think it would have anything to do with my new hard drive. I have like 50gigs of stuff on it. I didnt get the PCI controller card so it shows me only having 189gigs instead of 200gigs. But it did work fine utill I reformatted it.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

all hard drives have less than what they are stated having, the larger the drive the bigger the discrepancy. The same with media.

I am afraid your problem is when you reformatted you installed SP2, there are tons of people having problems with it. So much so that Microsoft has a blocker for it now to prevent it if you don't want it.

Since it is basically a security issue, most people don't even need it if they have a good security system already installed, which I do. If you have anti-virus, firewall, spyware, etc. I recommend to everyone not to D/L it.

I have all my auto updates turned off and the blocker installed. It is causing many problems with DVD software and backup. I think they are re-releasing an upated version of it sometime soon because it has so many bugs.

I'm in another forum where you wouldn't believe the people's systems it has screwed up. If this is the problem, you may have to totally reformat everything and reinstall SP1, sorry :>(

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

you may want to take this to the hardware section of the forum, there are some pretty sharp dudes about this stuff there. My forte is more in DVD software, these guys know everything from A-Z about hardware and PC's.

16. ripper357

ripper357 Member

Thank Ill do that tonight "reformat" and see if that corrects my problem "Bigorange" Thank you for all your help

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You are welcome, I'm sorry I couldn't help you more, SP2 is from HELL, I don't know that I'll ever use it :>(

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hmmm... I don't understand the SP2 problem? I have installed SP2 on all my computers at home (3) and all the computers at work (11) and if anything these computers all run better now than before... Was just wondering where the problems are with SP2.. I have burned over 500 DVD's using Shrink, Decrypter, Nero, ect.. with no problems.. So I was wondering is it only certain software that SP2 interfer's with and if so which software?

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, some have no problems, others have disastrous results. Many more have had problems than not from what I've read. It even tried to install on my PC with my auto updates turned off! It's mostly a security update and since I'm covered in all aspects concerning security, I'm staying away. I have probably 50 softwares (or more) dealing with DVD, ater reading this I can't believe it wouldn't affect me somewhere.

Check out some of the problems with SP2 on a couple of these threads, I would guess that 70-80% were complaints:

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/c...oftware;action=display;num=1096402665;start=0

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/c...oftware;action=display;num=1093078864;start=0

one member said "If you Google "XPSP2+problems" it,s enough to put you off SP2 for ever"

Look at it this way, if only 5% of the people that have it are having problems, how many millions of PC's would that be?

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can also look at it this way. There are millions of people who have problems with there computer without having SP2 also. I would tend to believe it isn't SP2 that is the problem, but more than likely the user. I am just talking from experience most computers (about 90%) that I fix has to do with operator error or ooperator not really understand what they are doing when loading and unloading software. I can't speak for everyone of course just my personal experience of fixing, building, and installing software on computers (about 10-20 a week) I have yet to incounter any of them having a problem due to SP2. Maybe if you do have all of the other software that is supposed to protect your PC loaded, then maybe it would conflict with SP2 somehow? Myself I don't trust any of the software for this. I always recommend a good router which will keep you pretty much invisible to everyone. thats just my 2 cent's. I'm not saying to load SP2 and by all means if you have a different software that you are confident with then there really is no need for SP2 as it pretty much just has to do with security.
    Good Luck all, and this is why I love After Dawn (Opinions!)