1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After ripping, can't open source folder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray' started by Blalock77, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Blalock77

Blalock77 Member

I am new to this, so please excuse my ignorace if I've overlooked something simple. I've been ripping DVDs for years, but just getting started on Bluray. I have ripped a couple discs using MakeMKV and Handbrake following this guide:
    lifehacker.com/5559007/the-hassle+free-guide-to-ripping-your-blu+ray-collection

When it's done and I go to the source folder to delete the files I no longer need, everything freezes up and I get a "Windows Explorer has stopped working and needs to close" window. I'm not able to access those files at all. I've tried to drag them to the desktop real quick, before the error window opens, but I can't get it done. My computer is less than a month old, I'm running Windows 7 HP, and have an Intel core i7 processor.

Any ideas?

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Not familiar with the programs you mentioned. But I have used DVDFab (which does Blu ray, too) and it works easily, without hassles. Give it a try. So easy I did not require a Guide to figure out.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It seems more like a Windows problem rather than a ripping issue. My first suggestion would be to reboot and try again. Assuming that doesn't fix the problem, I'd recommend booting into Safe Mode to try it. Reboot normally, but hit <F8> once the BIOS loads, but before Windows starts (you may have to press and hold it). When the list of boot options appears select Safe Mode. Safe Mode with Networking should work too, but unless you want to work from the command line avoid Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

4. Blalock77

Blalock77 Member

Thanks for the advice, but I've come up with my own solution. Since I don't need those files any longer, and I'm only trying to access them so I can delete them, I am simply deletiing the folder without going into it. Then I simply re-create the folder for next time. Simple enough.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Good to know. Ever since Windows XP I've been increasingly annoyed with some of the many quirks I've encountered when it comes to deleting files and folders in Windows Explorer. Your solution is a good example of one I've had to use more than once which doesn't make the least bit of sense but somehow works anyway.

6. mach825

mach825 Member

FYI....MakeMKV website states "This Account Has Been Suspended" we all need a good alternative. I really like MakeMKV. It was very good at ripping.