1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After TMPEG burning mpeg2 to DVD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by jboeckman, May 13, 2003.

1. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

Hello guys, my current project is taking starwars to 1 dvd. My MPEG2 file after TMpeg is around 3.9 gig (originally 27 gig). Now, if I try burning mpeg 2 with Sonic my dvd, the file is too large. Mpeg2 has both Video and audio. I understand that sonic does not take any video 2.93 and audio 1.44 gigs. the total with a dvd is around 4.37. So how come my 3.9 gig video cannot be burned?

Any info is appreciated.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Smartripper or DVD Decrypter
    DVD2One or DVD Shrink
    Nero [or other burning software]

Smartripper - it auto selcts main movie .VOB's like this

A typical VIDEO_ST folder of a DVD is similar to :

VIDEO_TS BUP 16,384
    VIDEO_TS IFO 16,384
    VIDEO_TS VOB 43,008
    VTS_01_0 BUP 77,824
    VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    VTS_01_0 VOB 1,695,744
    VTS_01_1 VOB 1,073,565,696\
    VTS_01_2 VOB 1,048,565,696 \ <-- This is the Main movie
    VTS_01_3 VOB 1,048,565,696 /
    VTS_01_4 VOB 589,365,248 /
    VTS_02_0 BUP 18,432
    VTS_02_0 IFO 18,432
    VTS_02_0 VOB 43,008
    VTS_02_1 VOB 6,014,976

You will need to tick the box next to main movie VTS_01_0 IFO...in this case VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    Select a destination & start.

In DVD2One - MOVIE-ONLY [I set size to 4300Mb] , select SOURCE as folder where you ripped files to and select DESTINATION as an empty folder.
    If you have a choice of title sets choose the longest in length ie: 1:49:37
    AC3 6CH - English (or whatever subtitles float your boat) - Angle 1
    Start

Nero - DVD > Compile a DVD > Other DVD Formats > DVD Video
    Click on VIDEO_TS Folder and drag n' drop all .VOB .BUP .IFO files over...burn

A much better method as this takes from 2 - 2.5 hrs !

3. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

Thank you, but first I must convert my mpeg2 to a dvd. This started out as a raw avi. So i converted over to mpeg2.....I downloaded dvdshrink. Maybe, if i build a dvd on my HDD, then use DVD shrink, I can solve my problems. But i would really like to know the best way with the least steps...

4. herbsman

Sonic Foundry DVD Architect does a good job at Mpeg2 to .VOB conversion , will take quite a while though!

May I ask why the .avi file is of this much importance to you ?
    I would have thought that the original DVD would give a lot better quality (in fact I know that to be the case !: )-

Once you have .VOB .BUP .IFO files...yes either DVD Shrink or DVD2One will slightly compress if files exceed 4.37Gb.

5. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

This is the edit starwars original VHS. I dont know of the trilogy series on DVD.

6. herbsman

7. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

Well, since TMpeg is being a pain...I am trying shrink now. Looks promising. If this is the case, I will encode again at 8KB/sec, then use shrink again...then, I hope to achieve the best quality. Every know of shrink losing quality?

8. herbsman

I use DVD2One v.1.1.1 personally

I come from the Old Skool & happen to think "If it aint broke then why fix it"

!: )

(I've backed up 'Attack of the Clones' & 'Phantom Menace' without any discernable difference to the original DVD...apart from not having menu & extras of course)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]I give you all these seed bearing plants & herbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: May 13, 2003
  9. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

Well, I am the same way...However, I have spent many hours thus far without any help. You know, I will probably be right with you on the dvd2one shortly. I should have some results within 30 minutes. I will give you an update on quality and stuff. However, compress and software use...I am pleased, if it works....lol. Thanks for your help, let you know in 30 minutes or so.

10. herbsman

I would stay with ya on that one but it's like 3am [GMT] & I've been on here long enough today.

Check back with you tomorrow...hope all was/is well !: )-

11. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

Well, good and bad news... Of course, until I say, I have completed the project, it will never be over. With my previous conversion from mpeg2 to dvd on my HDD, I used shrink, and worked without a flaw.
    I then used nero express to burn the new compressed video_ts files, ect.
    Final result...much better result...quality loss, (i cant prove it yet), is none.
    however, the mpeg2 that I used to burn my dvd to hdd was already a low bitrate.
    Now, i will have to do what i previously said. I can't wait!!! Things are looking up. Give you an update on finished project.

12. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

Well, good news, but still not satisfied. I have successfully used adobe to encode the raw avi file. Then used dvd shrink to compress dvd below the 4.3 gig. However, I believe I messed up by not finishing the encoding with tmpeg. I had my screen saver come on before i was able to complete my encoding.
    Therefore, when I used my adobe to encode, I set my bitrate to 8000KB CBR. So when I compressed the dvd, I took the original dvd from 7 gig to 4.3. The result from the compression gave me no pixels, but a lot of noise. I started tmpeg tonight...my final shot. Otherwise, I will move one, to keep me excited. Thanks for your help. I will close the after next update.

13. herbsman

I never use a screen saver personally but I do remember seeing in some guide I followed that you do want to turn it off.

14. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

Yeah, I thanks for the heads up. I usually dont encode for more then 2 hours, so it was my fault

15. herbsman

: )

I was flabberghasted when I first started to encode...TMPEGEnc it was.
    A 700+Mb file took 17 hrs (I'm still running on a slow CPU)

16. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

really depends what you want from tmpeg. I looked at my new settings...it was terrible. I have CCE. So I will go back to CCE now that i have the file size problem fixed.
    you know, tmpeg is just too slow. My cpu is overclocked and compares to the 3.0 gig intel....still slow.
    One thing bad about this hobby....there goes your life...:)

17. herbsman

hahaha yep

I'm hoping to build a new machine to sit there just doing data crunching (DVD or Mpeg)
    It can have the spare parts of this one I'm using and I'll only need to update a few things as the other tower specifically for data crunching/encoding/compressing wont have to have a massive motherboard & chip. I've got an excess of drives already (DVD-RW/CD-RW combo,DVD-Rom,CD-RW,CD-Rom)

Anyway I hear CCE is quite good at what it does. Have you tried DVD Architect at all ?

18. jboeckman

jboeckman Member

Nope, havent tried DVD Architect. I havent even read up on the software. I kind of like both CCE and Tmpeg. Tmpeg is just a lot slower. I hear video vegas+dvd is the way to go...that is from a movie editor.

19. herbsman

Yeah I like Vegas 4 + DVD a lot (even though I still cannot fully use it...the guide is 10Mb or so) LOL

It's nice to be able to add chapters & custom menu easily to Mpeg to .VOB conversions : )