1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AfterDawn is worth like 500,000 dollars! And We Have Lots of Guns!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by DeadRain, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It's not surprising that site was flawed. Their homepage looked pretty cheesey and according to their tool their own site is worth 138K - they need a red tag sale bad. Maybe we could work out a timeshare on my profile page boss :-D

I'm sure this isn't news to dRD but for the benfit of others - Sako and Tikka make arguably the finest rifles in the world. Sako makes bolt action rifles that are simply stunning in quality and function and Tikka isn't far behind.

Finland is also renown for having consistently world class snipers. Ya just don't mess with the Finns. Ask the Russians - they found out the hard way!

As for the M82 did anyone see the episode of Future Weapons that showed a new platform similar in size and function as the M82 but it used a .416 caliber round? At a distance of a mile and a half it took them three shots to get in the bull with the M82 but it took only one with the .416. By going to a smaller caliber and ramping up the velocity to crazy levels the time of flight is reduced thusly minimizing external influences on the bullet's flight and the trajectory is flattened which reduces compensation for bullet drop. Amazing rifle.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Wow dRD, i didn't know you where a gun nut as well !
    Welcome to the family ;-)
    Nice copy of the AK btw, if it's just as sturdy as the original, i'll take that thing over any modern "assault rifle" any army can muster.

@Neph : i saw that, i think that if they where to change the bore of the barrel and adjust the weapong to take those high powered 7.62×51 NATO rounds i use *the kind the local gunsmith now "refills", with some extra strong powder*, that thing would be unstoppable.

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Heh, I'm not a big gun freak, but hey, we got mandatory military service here in Finland and once you've shot hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of rounds with assault rifle every morning for a year (add bazooka, land mines, AA cannons, etc to the equation), you oughta learn something :)

And as far as the comparison to the AK-47 goes, Sako beats the crap out of the "original" hands down. But don't take my word for it: http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=161 (old-ish story, the production never ceased)

4. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

There are some serious problems in the code of that generator. It says www.facebook.com is only worth $199,000. Yahoo! made a billion dollar bid last year to purchase Facebook.

5. Nephilim

That's too funny.

Dan,

The .416 is a bit beyond any .30 cal round available. The standard 7.62 NATO takes about 45 to 50 grains of medium/slow burning powder to drive a 168 -170 grain bullet to around 2700 fps whereas the .416,

Specifications:
    - Case Capacity 200 grains of powder
    - Projectile Solid brass boattail spitzer
    - Projectile Weight 400 grains
    - Projectile Length 2.0 in.
    - Ballistic Coefficient .943
    - Cartridge OAL 4.58 in.
    - Muzzle Velocity 3250 fps (supersonic past 2500 yds.)
    - Accuracy Under 1 MOA
    - Barrel Length Choices 32 or 29 in. (81.28 or 73.66 cm)
    - Rifle Lengths 50 or 45 in. (127 or 114 cm)
    - Weights 25 or 23 lbs. (11 or 10.43 kg)

It's like a massive varmint rifle! Of course people could be considered varmints can't they?

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I know, but the size of the projectile and the fact that .416 is even more impossible to get here, make me want to think twice about that :-(
    as for people = varmints, definately.
    Especially some of my neighbours.

7. Nephilim

Bummer about the restrictions. Apparently the .416 cartridge was developed in response to the geiuses in Kalifornia banning .50 cal rifles and making all owners register existing ones or something to that effect.

If you can get one, the .338 Lapua is a superb sniper round courtesy of the Finns :)

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Pffft, i'll have Jason *new firearms range/gunsmith lunatic* reload my NATO's, dunno what kind of powder he uses, but these d@mn things are almost blasting clean through reinforced concrete blocks.
    Lunacy, i tell you.

Not to mention this madman is building a Gatling/mini gun type thing, spewing .22 rimfire...

9. Nephilim

Nice! They had an all brass .22 Gatling in Cabela's here and the price tag was friggin 20 G's!

What sort of bullet does he load for you? Milsurp, commercial, mystery?

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Some "unbranded", eastern european stuff.
    Real cheap, and it does the job just as well.

11. Nephilim

That works. The Eastern European countries don't mess around when it comes to that stuff. So accuracy is good?

12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Yeah, this guy has ballistics down to an exact science.
    If a round is a 100th of a gram too heavy, he'll dump it out, re-weigh the powder, the shell, and the round, and start from scratch.
    It takes him ages to make a batch, but they sure do the job.
    He said he'd make 5 teflon rounds next month, he's getting some old, used bulletproof vests from the local police and some mannequins to shoot at from a big store that's going out of business.
    That'll be fun :)

13. Nephilim

A handloader after my own heart. He loads like I do.

Teflon sounds nice :)

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

Most countries dont alow guns like here in Australia im just happey i dont have to go to school worrying about being shot by a crazy kid.
    b)I wouldnt try to takke care of someone that way why simply because I will get my ass kicked in court for a)Killing someone or b) Attempting to. I would rather lose my stuff and start again rather then not lose the stuff and stay in Jail not using it anyway dont you agree?
    See you dont look beside it there are alot more ways then just guns when it happends you will think
    some ways.
    -Hide when they near you use a bat or a club to beat the hell out of them.
    -A crow bar would tharsh two of them.
    -70% of the time you get robbed by people not armed with a gun so a good beating should do.
    -In serious situations a few good hits with a Bat or club into their temples should do them enough.
    or
    -Throw some knifes.
    -Dial 000
    or just have good security and not leave stuff open have an Alarm and have good security doors ETC. since we moved into this house when it was built (Jan 1997) we havent been robbed or broken into once.
    Do you know how exciting it is Driving a racing car down a world class track there is no better feeling I hav felt it with GO-Karts and about to go to Geramny to try out for a a run in teh BMW Formula ADAC champ and start a racing career...
    *drools*
    [​IMG]

15. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

"Most countries dont alow guns like here in Australia im just happey i dont have to go to school worrying about being shot by a crazy kid.
    b)I wouldnt try to takke care of someone that way why simply because I will get my ass kicked in court for a)Killing someone or b) Attempting to. I would rather lose my stuff and start again rather then not lose the stuff and stay in Jail not using it anyway dont you agree?"

plead self-defense.

16. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Maybe we should start a new GUN thread my friend at work who owns the 50 caliber also owns one of these and this thing is awesome!

[​IMG]

17. dazila

dazila Regular member

A thompson sub-machine gun you mean aka "Tommy Gun".
    They are pretty old now...

18. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Call me old school but after firing one of these you would still be very impressed by the this gun, make no mistake this is a close range weapon. My friend at work who is ex military and gun freak owns everything from this to a 50 caliber sniper gun as well as a civil war era Cannon.

19. Nephilim

Old doesn't really matter if its a solid design. The Colt 1911 designed by John Browning the the early 1900's and adopted in 1911 is still considered by many to be the preeminent combat pistol available today. With all the cutting edge Sigs, Glocks, Berettas, H&K's and Smith & Wessons available what do many of the most elite SWAT and Special Operations units choose? Custom 1911's.

The M-2 .50 caliber machine gun in use today, also designed by John Browning, was designed at the end of WWI.

Most all modern commercial and military bolt action rifles use varying degrees of design elements from the '98 Mauser designed by Peter Paul Mauser in 1898. Faithful copies of the original design are popular and extremely desirable 109 years later because almost every expert will agree that the '98 Mauser is the pinnacle of the bolt action design.

The Thompson was adopted in 1928 after the three I listed. Price is the biggest obstacle to owning a Thompson especially a full auto model. It's a robust design but due to the large amount of machining required to make one it has always been expensive compared so other simpler designs even way back in '28. The army dropped it in favor of the M-3 because at a fraction of the cost they could make a wheelbarrow full of M-3's in the time it took to make one Thompson.

Folks today are paying up to $2,500 and more for faithful reproductions of the Model 1874 Sharps rifle made by the recently resurrected Shiloh Sharps Rifle Company (I wish I could be one of them).

(Oh geez not another gun sermon by Neph..................)

In the US it's the other way around. Getting robbed isn't a sport where there are rules to ensure an even playing field and may the best man win. Crimes like that boil down to "might makes right" and I want to be at least equally or better armed right then and there without having to run around and hide while dialing and waiting for the cops all the while hoping I don't get shot. The cops, God bless them, do their best but they can't be there instantaneously. Criminals are predators that look for the easiest prey. Let's say you had a neighborhood of 30 houses where it was common knowledge on the street that every home owner was armed then 1/4 mile away you have another 30 house neighborhood that word on the street is nobody's armed. Which neighborhood are the criminals going to hit and keep hitting? Magnify that on a city level where anyone legally able to carry not only could carry but everyone else was encouraged to do the same? Remember, the "wild wild west bloodbath" and "tidal wave of crime" that so many people keep predicting has been thoroughly debunked time and again as more and more cites legalize concealed carry.

Furthermore comparisons between America and any other nation as far as the effect of confiscating guns is apples to ceiling fans - there's absolutely no common ground. We're a nation that was fought for, won, built upon and expanded through the use firearms and unlike the rest of the world we were immediately guaranteed the right to defend ourselves and have never had it any other way. We have a Constitutional right to bear arms and have literally millions of registered guns in our country so not only are confiscations or bans wrong-minded they would also be logistically impossible to implement even if it came to that. We have hundreds of thousands of red-blooded patriots in America that still believe in The Constitution and ain't giving them up no matter who tells them otherwise so any comparison to how well they worked in another country is academic at best. Over 200 years ago the British tried to take our guns a got a war for it.

**edit - I forgot the car part :p

For the ultimate rush I think it would be hard to beat a ride in a Top Fuel Dragster. Check it:

8,000 horsepower.

0 to 330 in 4.5 seconds. 0 to 100 in .8 seconds.

They reach 100 miles per hour sixty feet from the starting line. We're talking 20 yards folks, like two first downs in a football game.

An article in FHM listed them as hitting 2.3 on the richter scale at takeoff. I believe it. It feels like a huge bomb going off by you. I mean the EARTH SHAKES under your feet big time, I kid you not.

The driver withstands a force 5.7 times their weight at takeoff and some have had retinas detatched at the decelleation force when the chutes open at the end of the run.

*reedited for crappy proofreading :p

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  20. ireland

ireland Active member

this is what my bride has in here night stand

[​IMG]
    Compact semiautomatic Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Chief's Special — Model CS45