1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afterdawn Newbie Forum

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Dela, May 15, 2004.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I think this forum should be added in under the forum news and announcements forum for many different reasons.

Some people are absolutely new!! I mean, as new as u can get to everything at aD, like a guy who just got the internet, he has a PS2 and XBOX, DVD's etc etc but he has no idea about backing up or encoding etc etc. An Afterdawn newbie forum could be a place for them to ask the simplist of questions or where they can have a look for resources that will get them started! It would also stop a lot of newbies making posts in wrong forums and will make them more aware of the rules of the forum too!

Just a suggestion :)

2. Frozilla

Frozilla Member

I think this is a spectacularly fantaboulous idea. I have viewed this site for months before signing up because i was able to find mostly everything by dilligent research. However, simple questions that im sure some of u prodigys could answer but dont in a matter of seconds, take QUITE A LONG TIME to find for some of us (i.e. me). I see over and over to search for threads and i admit people don't. However some people do and can't find what they need after hours of research. Better yet, days. Me personally, i prefer to find everything about a subject before wasting peoples time. But we all know this case doesn't hold for everybody. Do u blame them. There is something u do that pisses them off, whether it be cussing, not voting, smoking up your last bit of herb(personally what pisses me off), etc. Thats part of life, people getting annoyed by other people. However life goes on, and u find ways to correct it. Thus, the newbie forum. Furthermore, trivial questions won't get lost in challenging questions, and vice-versa. This idea has my vote unlike Bush, and thats my story and im sticking to it.

3. Dela

lol :)

Glad you like the idea! :) I just think itwould be best if Newbies could have their own forum because every forum on the web are kinda like, not newbie friendly :) lol So they need a place to chill till they get more seriously into it!

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

dela,
    this is a nice solution to that so called vexing problem that occurred in the ' proposed limitation of newbie posts'

However will the newbies use such an area or will they just bypass it on there way to a hopefully quick solution, by posting where they like and disreguarding the forum rules.

andmerr

5. Dela

I know what you're saying but after a while hopefully it will be full of questions that a newbie needs answered anyways! if they need further help then which is more advanced, they can use the other fourms to get it. I'm not saying that that forum is the only place they are allowed to post or anything however!

6. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Would the Newbie Forum under News and Announcements branch off intp smallers branches as well? DVD-R for Newbies, Cd-R for Newbies, Xvid etc...? If it does not include all of the forums that are available, then people may Bypass because their topic insn't under the Newbie category.

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Rather rude solution would be to create a Newbie forum category that contains a forum room for each main topic (Xbox, PS2, DVD, Mac, etc) and newbies would be allowed to post to those forums only.

But.. How to make it clear that these are the forums that they can post to, when 80% of the users land to our forums from Google and to a particular thread, where the simply hit the "Reply" or "start a new thread" button.. Anyway, I'd much rather toy with some other solutions and see whether the upcoming FAQ system, etc could solve some of the "useless" dupe posts that have been answered gazillion times (then again, by using the "search" button would solve this issue as well, but people simply don't read anything -- that's the problem..).

8. michigan

michigan Guest

For useless thread titles maybe it would be possible to exclude the use of certain words in the title only, for example - help, newbie silly words to have in a title and it makes the search not work as well.

9. Dela

dRD, im not saying a system that will ONLY allow them to post in the newbie forum, just a forum that will have threads in it that they can read before they go and post something etc etc

I actually wouldnt support limiting the forum use of a newbie to just a few threads because just cause someone's forum status is Newbie, doesnt mean they are a newbie to VCD/SVCD/DVD-R/PS2/XBOX etc etc :)

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i'm unsure who proposed this but wasnt there a suggestion that all titles under moderator be suspended and that if we are all the same then there wouldnt be so much controversy, and then well life may get back to normal.I GUESS AS HUMAN BEINGS we all have our different ways of appoaching the tasks that we want to accomplish.Some will do it the right way(search etc) and others will just jump right in (and upset the apple cart)but isnt this how we are.

In essence we can debate for change as much as we like ,or get annoyed when the questions are posted in the wrong sections etc.

I think i have always stated that its up to the moderators and the operators of the site to change the site for the betterment of us but i have noticed that there are heaps of good ideas but only some have been taken up.But not on this topic.We are all here for one thing: THAT IS TO FIND THE ANSWER TO OUR QUESTIONS

So why dont we concentrate on that and when you guys way above us decide to fix this if you see it as a problem ,so be it

have a good day all and dRD hope you and the wife are having fun with your bundle of joy

11. Dela

Well if we decided to remove all status from the forum it probably wouldnt be a very good thing as status is a kind of drive for people to keep coming back, like to some people jumping from newbie to junior member ot member to senior member is rush! lol

12. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i always thought the reason people keep coming back is because of the sound advise people are getting to the problems that they are experiencing and once solved they are helping people overcome the same issues or helping solve other probs .

(try saying that as a tongue twister 10 x over )

Going up the rankings isnt really the issue for a lot of people isnt knowledge and getting questions to there problems answered more important.

(in hindsight may be if we stand back a little bit and look at the big picture we might find that all these little inconviences might actually enhance or be part of the big picture and without them it might be a little bit boring)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2004
  13. bendis

bendis Guest

greetings. i for one don't mind the "newbie" forum as i'm totally new to this area of puter knowledge and would prob. ask "dumb" questions no matter what. however, i do solemnly promise to always use the Search function before posting any questions (hey, that should be a mandatory item to agree to before one can become a member! if you don't adhere then you be reminded a couple of times; if still not behaving then you get a permanent boot, ha ha).
    ok, that said... this is quite an awesome site, lots of goodies. great job you guys!
    - bendis - the dumb newbie :p

14. Dela

andmerr, i dunno a rank is a kinda a way for Afterdawn to say thanx to users, like for example, unlike most forums Afterdawn does not display the amount of posts a user makes!

15. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I like Dela's idea for a forum with a bunch of general information posts. I'd go so far as to say that we could have individual threads there for specific issues that come up over and over again. Not only would it be a good way for a beginner to find a lot of good information in one place, but it would also be nice to be able to just refer someone to that forum for help.

Dela: Were you thinking Newbies should actually be able to post new messages to this forum or that they should just be able to read the posts that are already there?

16. brian100

brian100 Guest

I have read a number of threads, and there is a lot!, where the original question gets totally & hopelessly "Off topic" after a few posts. This must be one of the reasons why so many questions have been asked so many times. I admit, I have taken a few threads off topic & I am not proud of myself. These threads wind me up & must surely drive a "Newbie" (And remember there are some very talented Newbies on this forum & some truly dumb members. Look at me for an example!) up the wall. If this habit of "Topic gate crashing" could be reduced or eliminated it would make life much easier for EVERYONE involved.

I am sure there are many newbies who post a few questions & get hit with the "Use the search facility" attitude & simply never come back, now that's a shame.

I think Dela's original idea has some great potential. To build up a "beginner's knowledge base" would be a fantastic step forward for this site & would surely encourage far more new members to join, then learn and then STAY. This section, in my opinion, should be "Locked off" from all members apart from "Moderators", who would be solely responsible what info gets inserted.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]On Initial Viewing My Backup Looked Terrible,
    But With One Eye Closed It Aint Half Bad!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2004
  17. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Brian: The more I think about it, the more I agree with you. I didn't think it sounded particularly useful when I read Dela's first post because we already have plenty of sticky threads and guides, but looking at as a good way to centralize that information makes it seem very useful.

18. Dela

Yep it surew would be very useful :) But whether or not it happens is up to da boss :) lol

19. Frozilla

Frozilla Member

The best thing about the idea is that there would be no question too small. Even in the dvd-newbie forum people get hounded on basically cause they ask a stupid question. At some point we all first used computers, first burnt cd's, first burnt dvd's, first got laid, etc. Experience and stupid questions got all of us smarter and better at the task at hand. Well, I hope we all got better, and ur girl probably does to.

20. Dela

That's what I mean by newbie forum :) somewhere for them to be able t ask anything lol!