1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afterdawn Newbie Forum

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Dela, May 15, 2004.

1. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Dela, I think your idea has some good points. I'm just not sure if ANOTHER newbie area will help that much. My suggestion that would help the Newbies and may also help cut back un-needed posts would be this. When anyone clicks REPLY or START NEW THREAD, right above the message box should be something like (HAVE YOU TRIED THE FORUM SEARCH FOR AN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION). It would be hard to miss in that area. Maybe more newbies would find out there is a SEARCH feature on here.

Jerry

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've run into some sites that make you wait a couple or so days to post after you first register - kinda encourages use of the "Search" function in the meantime :)

3. brian100

brian100 Guest

club.cdfreaks has a newbie forum, and it seems very popular. But there are still a lot of "newbie type" questions asked on the main forum. The original idea is doomed to fail.

I am not sure if the owners of AD would want to place any kind of restriction on newbie questions. More members means more traffic & greater leverage for advertising. I feel we are all banging our head against the wall's here. We're stuck with it.

Perhaps if we had more dedicated areas of topic things would become more orderly. IE DVDshrink, Pinnacle, Intervideo, DVDrebuilder CCE, DVD2one etc etc
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]On Initial Viewing My Backup Looked Terrible,
    But With One Eye Closed It Aint Half Bad!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2004
  4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i see many generic title threads. that will hurt the search function.

and another thing. rather than put it in the news section why not make it a sedtion itself. newbies post here first. (does this means i'm encouraging newbie posts ?) :p

5. jobel60

jobel60 Member

Ok, my tuppence worth, I hope you don't fall asleep!
    To me a Newbie room is a vital element of any site, it allows the novice to begin to grasp the complexities of the issues and understand that there is a lot more to any programme than just clicking a button and Voila! there is a dvd/cd that will even play in your toaster!
    A newbie has got a vision of what they would like to achieve but absolutely no idea how to get there; so a room that starts from the very basics and allows a Newbie to ask even the silliest of questions without being made to feel a dumbarse can only inspire them to progress.
    A lot of the more competent people tend to forget that what they take as basic and second nature now they had to learn once and even though they may be a bit brighter than some others they are still learning.
    I don't think it has to be a complex room, just a room where a Newbie can go to get the feel of the site and not be intimidated and have answers explained in a very rudimentary way.
    Maybe put topics in alphabetical order and when a satisfactory answer has been given close the thread.
    Or, and this is not meant to be spamming - you could do a simple instructional programme done on this programme: http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ I know this may involve a lot of work for some one but once done it will be explained in an easy to follow graphic lesson. I was stuck on something once and followed a tut done with this programme and got it first time!
    And lastly, I don’t feel right wearing my especially made black tee shirt with the words “ Noobies Rule! “ written in large letters across the front when I am Browsing!lol

6. hogan

hogan Regular member

At first I thought a newbie room was a great idea. I wished there was one when I found this place. I didn't want to ask a question that was to comples but very simple to the members here. I quickly found out that 99.9% of the members are very patient and happy to share info. I got the best advice from MEMBERS not NEWBIES because newbies were like me, they knew nothing. I learned what I know (which isn't much compared to most here) by browsing around and reading the post.
    If there is a newbie room you will have a bunch of people who know nothing asking questions of people who know less. I think that would discourage newbies. It would have me.
    But I just escaped newbiedoom and don't have all the answers.

7. nrautava

nrautava Guest

Yes, or then newbie just can`t start a new thread before using search engine about two or more times.

It might work...

8. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

It is A great idea beacuse newbies get slated for posting useless stuff but come on...they are only new

9. michigan

michigan Guest

Being "new" is not to be ashamed of and many people use the "new" status of members to berate and belittle, this is counter productive, remember we were all new at one time.

That being said the search function should be the first thing [bold]everyone[/bold] tries before posting, this would eliminate and clean up a lot of multiple postings.

10. nrautava

nrautava Guest

I remember that I did not send any messages before using AD, google and av searchengin or send question with bad title...

But it seems to be too mutch to ask...

11. michigan

michigan Guest

Don't forget that some people are more "new" than others. I wasn't making excuses for anyone, as you read in my post I said that everyone should use the search function. The first time you used a computer or the internet you were indeed new and I doubt that you nor anyone else did everything "right" the first time, I know I didn't.

Relegating someone to a "newbie" only category and limiting the discussions to what they know would make for a very quick discussion sometimes and other times it would be a severe limit, there are some people who are very knowledgeable who are simply new to this board yet they would also fall into this catagory.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2005