1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agh.. I gotta rant about Memorex..

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by eiffel65, Dec 20, 2007.

1. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I gotta let out some steam on this..

So about a week back I bought a 50 pack of those Memorex CD-Rs, 'cause I had to burn a crap load of stuff, including Linux for testing and learning experience and stuff like that.

My Linux distros burned just fine with InfraRecorder, some things, not so much.

I was burning about 65 files (651 MB) worth of .wads and .pk3s for Doom, because my hard drive couldn't hold them and my MP3 player, heck no would it. It wouldn't let me burn a .pk3 file just because it thinks it's "corrupted". Bull, I opened the .pk3 just fine. Now it won't let me burn any .pk3s when they're not even corrupt. I'm totally mad at this.

It's like, when I get a 10 pack of Memorex CD-Rs, they burn every file just fine, but when I get a 50 pack, very few things will burn properly. It's like the pack the crappier CDs in the higher amount of CDs.

2. rav009

rav009 Active member

Don't use them, then.

Yes, I am a rocket scientist.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Stick the files on a pendrive and try burning them with K3B that comes with slax killbill live :lolololol:

why do we call them memosux anyway??

4. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Thing is, others I have done worse than this.

My uncle is picking me up a 30 gig or so hard drive so I'll need not worry much longer hopefully, just depends on how much I can hold off my competitor in a tournament until then.

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I have ALWAYS used Verbatim CDs, but to my amazement I learned they were made by CMC mag....even more amazing, they have never failed me.

6. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Hmm.. I'll try picking those up when I get the chance..

And I think I used one of those DVD-Rs made by Verbatim when burning Slayer's whatchamajigy installer thing for my Xbox.

7. varnull

varnull Guest

I've been using the cmc d/l sold as traxdata for 360 games..

The ricohjpn ones are shoddy in comparison. Looks like cmc have got it right so far as d/l goes.. but we will see in 12 months eh?

8. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Heh, yes we will :p

But now I have another problem. After that last disc I used, my laptop thinks it's been burning this whole time. It won't stop opening, and it happens randomly.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  9. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

Hi :)
    i've found that with CD's it doesn't matter much whose make it is...never had one fail yet

@varnull :)
    you do surprise me.Traxdata is one off RITEK's own brand name (RITEK...RIDATA...TRAXDATA) and don't supply anyone else with their top grade media....i'll have to look into it to see if cmc manufactuer disc's for RITEK (perchance i am a little out of date with my info)

10. varnull

varnull Guest

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=435228

These Geoff.. and imagine my surprise when they coded as cmc-mag. Not as specified on the site at all... maybe the ones they are selling from there are fakes??

I don't have any here as I burn them elsewhere (360 piracy is dodgy) but I can probably get a dvd-identifier log from one maybe tomorrow...

11. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

Hi sweet-thing X :)
    from the manufactuers information above
    it would be nice to know. its a long time since the days of when i was continually fighting Ritek's corner, that i'm now a little out of touch....although i still use Ritek (also my pal does) i've lost the urge for constant battle :)

12. varnull

varnull Guest

It may be the database in dvd-identifier is out of date, or has a wrong entry... I do remember a couple of months ago Ritek getting a very bad press for poor d/l +r disks.. perhaps they bought in some cmc to tide them over a really bad manufacturing run...
    Whatever.. the cmc disks so far are A1, far better than the ricoh (ricohjpn) and the mirror (also cmc-mag) which are very similar in price but pretty much a coaster every time.. Time will tell if they hold the burn or fade away.

TBH so long as they work well I don't really care who makes 'em... hell I even quite like moser-bauer disks (philips and oddball brands) The cd's are good.. and the 8x +R's are superb in my old standalone player. (it isn't even supposed to do +r disks)

Funny old world....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2007