1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGP or PCI E ???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Decrypto, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Decrypto

Decrypto Member

I currently have a gigabyte motherboard with 8x AGP and a Leadtek TI4200 grapics card. I would like to upgrade my card but dont know which type to use.
    Is AGP still the better choice?
    I mostly play games and backup my DVDs.
    Any helpfull input is welcome thanks.
    AGP or PCI E?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your board doesn't have a pci/e so stuck with agp as pci/e is replacing agp

3. Decrypto

Decrypto Member

Oh! dont the PCI E cards just fit in PCI slots?
    And is it worth changing the board or is AGP still the better choice?
    In the long run does PCI E perform better than AGP?

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You have to have one of the newewst motherboards to use a PCI E vid card. The motherboard has to have a PCI E slot.

5. ddp

pci/e slot is different from pci as in length of connector & setback distance from back of case. if get a new board for pci/e, you might also have to get a new cpu

6. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I am actually in the process of getting a new board and Im in the middle of AGP vs PCI E. Which is better and also alot of the PCIE boards only have like 2 actual PCI slots, which I need about 5. So my question is can I put my Modem, Audigy Sound Card, Raid Controller, Ide Controller in a PCIE slot. Cause I need a board with 5 PCI and 1 PCI E but these new boards have like 5 PCIE slots and 2 PCI slots. I mean wtf is up with that. Can regular PCI devices fit in a PCIE slot? Personally Im thinking of just sticking with a new AGP board but if PCIE is so much better and replacing AGP then I might as well just buy a PCIE board, but I need more PCI SLOTS!

7. ddp

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

PCI Express is more for show than anything else considering the fact that the AGP 8X spec isn't even being saturated with today's games and cards.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  9. mmalyszko

mmalyszko Regular member

todays mobos already have integrated raid controllers, connectors for power and data transfer, they probably have the newest ide controllers and some have modems so only thing u really need is just two slots

10. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

My thoughts: if you are upgrading and want high performance and reliability along with software and hardware compatibility stick with AGP 8x Pro; PCI Express works with the newer 915/925 chipsets; however, they haven't totally perfected this architecture yet. By the end of the year they hope to perfect it where it will be 4 or 5 times faster than the AGP bus architecture. The new mobo's that work with the PCI Express are pricey too along with the video cards too. My two cents....stick with I875P for now and migrate to the newer technology toward year end; that's what I am doing. Plus, I just built my latest and greatest box over the past few months and love it. Keep us posted.

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'm in complete agreement with Starbuck1.