1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AID Needed To Complete Softmod Install?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by locobrown, Apr 5, 2007.

1. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I want to softmod my xbox using Softmod Installer Deluxe 4.5 - Nknave Edition, but to complete the install do I really need AID? I know that I must use AID but since I have a dial up connection it'll take me forever to obtain AID. And I was wondering if AID will be needed to complete the install or If i can run it later?

I'll use AID 3.0 (which i dont have yet)the complete final version then update to a new version.

Also I what software should I use to format a new HDD. I would like to upgrade my HDD. I have a doubt about what the softmod will do to my HDD. will SID reformat my the current xbox HDD the moment i run it? I know that in order to install a new HDD i must connect the new HDD and format it from a PC.

2. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

are you softmodding using action replay?

cause you dont need AID to finish the installation..thats an installation disk that you can use to repair it and get back to a good state after messing your mods up (and it also comes with some apps/emulators)

here is a VERY detailed tutorial i made to softmod
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/489542

after you softmod and you want a bigger HDD

download ConfigMagic Final and Xboxhdm

3. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Right now i'm gathering all the items. The boot disc that many talk about its actually the AID ISO that restores emulators and updates any dashboards? I'm new to softmod i always knew it could be done but i've stayed away from it i got my xbox 4 years ago. now that the 360 is out i punch myself in face for not attempting it sooner. After softmod, backup the xbox hard drive in case i need to hotswap or upgrade and since i dont want to open it soon until i gain all the knowledge in order not leave room for mistakes. On a limited student academic budget so i'm kinda holdin by breath.

4. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

well if you save up about 150 bucks you can get some things and just have a hard mod with a bigger hard drive...

getting a hard mod would really let your mind relax about worrying about screwing it up..

but yes download either aid 3.0 or slayer 2.7 whatever...then burn it to a dvd-r or cd-rw and burn it as an iso (to makethe actual slayer or aid disk)

i can probley garentee you that you will run into a problem softmodding...everyone does thats why we come to these forum boreds to talk about the problems and help each other fix it

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Well, if you want any programs on your Xbox you DO need AID 3.1
    Otherwise you will not have most of the needed programs like XBMC, DVD2Xbox, Other dashboards and so many other things.

6. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Thanks for the advice i'll get right to it. i'll download AID so that i can be able to restore the dash board in case it wont boot.

7. maxkreps

maxkreps Member

quick question can you use a DVD-RW for AID?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

no, i do not think so. I think a DVD-R would be better.
    and make sure you FULLY read the PDF file that comes with AID. Because it will come as an image, and then have a bunch of other folder for add on's. You have to use the program they provide with the download to add each add on you want to the main ISO and rebuild it (the program does all this and it is pretty simple) before you burn it.

9. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

well i imagin if you can burn it to RW like i did for slayer you can do it for aid....if not aid blows...haha

10. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I just downloaded AID 3.0 it took me several days but I finally got it. There are some menus that im not so sure about or have some doubts. I've read the .pdf manual several times and I still have some unclear thoughts.

There's a menu called "Backup/Restore".
    Will this backup the entire contents of my HDD onto a different retail partion? And If it does wouldn't it just take up available space? I have my xbox almost filled with tons of music. Should I delete some to create more space or should I just skip this step and FTP the xbox OS and keep the backup on my computer. I would rather keep a copy on my PC since I still have the retail xbox HDD and haven't installed my upgrade HDD yet.

There's another menu called "Format/Prepare Hard Drive"
    I dont think I need to format because the retail should have the partitions already set up. Since the retail HDD is already formatted, what does the 'prepare hard drive' option really do?

Also what does "DHCP" mean?

Thanks.

11. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I can extract the iso file with Qwix or using a similar app. The .pdf says I can edit the iso and setup it up to my needs. At first I tried loading it on my PC using a Virtual drive mount by Daemon tools, it gave me a bad checksum file. I thought I have obtain a useless copy and thought of extracting it using Qxix and it worked.

In order for the xbox to read any iso do i have to create one using qwix?

12. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, but in the directions for AID it should tell you how you can add the add-on packs that come with it to your ISO. In fact mine even came with a program that does it for you and then creates a new ISO in a matter of seconds.

DHCP is a network setting. It means that they console with automatically be assigned an IP address by the PC or router when it is connected via crossover cable, and turned on. This is how my PC and Xbox and Xbox 360 are all set up.
    The other option is static, whcih means that you manually assign the IP address.

do not mess with ANY options if you do not know what they do, the only backup you shold make is of the EEPROM file in case you ever need to rebuild the drive. YOu can do this through FTP once you get everything back to working order, you can just FTP the whole C: partition and the EEPROM backup folder and store it on your PC where you would have more space.

You surely do not want to format anything unless you want everything on the Xbox gone and want to start over. That is what it does, it will format the drive so that is is back to retail, like you just got it. Then you would have to re-softmod it and put all your programs, games and music back on it. It is a last resort, or for people whoc have a chip and are installing a new larger hard drive so it can be prepared to work in the xbox.

with a softmod you have to build a hard dive (new one) by using a program called xboxhdm. I think all you want is to softmod with SID 4.5, then use the install options on AID to install dashboards and apps. Just make sure you know what your doing and where those things should be installed
    Like the MS Dash and main hacked dash go on C:
    the other dashes can be installed into your apps folder on E: and you can access those from there, this is also where all the apps go of course.