1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alarm sounding on boot up

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jim_80, Apr 14, 2005.

1. jim_80

jim_80 Guest

Hi my computer is in need of a little help, i turn on my computer and nothing happens apart from an alarm sounding no bios menu no nothing i dont know what is wrong because the night before i shut it down as normal everthing was fine turned it on in the morning an i got nothing apart from the alarm plz help!!!!!!! THANKS

2. permatex

permatex Regular member

to jim_80 restart your computer and listen for a short beep.if you do get a short beep keep an eye on your computer hard drive light,usualy a red light in the area of the power button and reset switch.if this light continue to flash on and off quickly this tells you that the hard drive is seeking and possibly booting up the computer.if you suspect that the hard drive is starting up the computer but you get nothing on the moniter,you may have a bad video card,moniter cable connection or moniter.try and find a neighbor who can help you out with a hands on approach to your problem.

3. jim_80

jim_80 Guest

Thanks for replying, i have since found that the beeping sound is actully a code from the bios. I now know what is wrong its a 64K base ram failure which means my ram is dead or the dimm ports on my motherboard are fried either way its gonna cost me lol!!
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

They may just require removing and reseating, overtime due to the cmpression within the socket the contacts become very light and can give this problem.

It may also occur with incompatible memory aswell, but if the memory has been installed for a while (and working) then it may just be down to bad ram or a contact issue.

Also you may also want to double check the fsb setting in the CMOS (obviously you need the memory to obtain some graphics on your monitor).

Some people have had to reset their CMOS values back to defaults in order to troubleshoot memory issues, as the memory may not be bad, but just setup wrong within CMOS.

5. jim_80

jim_80 Guest

thanks i'll try that!

6. jim_80

jim_80 Guest

tried that it didnt work i'm gonna take the ram back to the shop get them to test it i only bought it about a month ago if the ram is fine it means i need a new motherboard.
    Thanks for the advice it was worth a try!

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Did you try resetting the CMOS by removing the battery?

I always have a spare stick of low spec ram to test if there is a memory/motherboard bootup problem.

Also, do you know what type of ram it is and also what type of ram your motherboard accepts, eg PC1800, PC3200 etc..........?

8. jim_80

jim_80 Guest

hi again iv'e already tried resetting the CMOS i am running ddr ram@266mhz pc 2100 i know its the correct ram for my system because i took my motherboard manual to the shop and thats what they gave me my motherboard can handle 2GB of DDR ram or 1GB of SD ram my system has been running fine since i put the ram in i closed down one night the next morning nothing happend ive just found my old stick of ram i'll try that and see if it works.
    Thanks again for taking the time to answer the noob!!!

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

No worries, it does seem to point to a bad stick...............
    Hope you get it sorted...........
    and
    [bold]Welcome to Afterdawn[/bold]

10. jim_80

jim_80 Guest

Tried my old stick of ram still got the same problem it must be my motherboard. I'm not to worried though i was only running an old VIA 2 samuel 800mhz processor so now i can upgrade my comp without the wife moaning LOL! now i am not to sure what to buy any suggestions?

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

All down to costs and due to the many varieties available now it would be difficult for me to highlight any in particular.

At the mo' I am using a Gigabyte 8S655FX, with a 3.2Ghz P4 CPU and 1Gb ram.
    The motherboard has onboard SATA, IDE USB etc and is very good for my purposes.

However manufacturers I would look at are:
    Gigabyte
    Asus
    Asrock
    Abit
    Soltek

BTW:Try reseating your CPU.......

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I would also have great difficulty in recommending a new MOBO at the moment. SLi (scalable link interface) is coming up strong, making AGP boards look positively old!! I have an MSI board, but would look seriously at an ASUS for my next PC build.
    The choices are endless. I guess it depends on what you want your PC to do. Gaming, go SLi, not gaming, hmmm, 939 or 754? I read somewhere that 939 is the way to go. You could still get socket A & get a cheap 3200 Barton chip!
    I like AMD chips. So then I would be thinking 64bit SLi, as I play games, Far Cry etc, anyways, I like to be one step ahead. My second PC is still light years ahead of most you buy in the shops. It is 2 years old too!
    The choice is yours. Your other half may influence you in your decisions though!! I do not have that problem! LOL!!! No offence BTW!!

Pulsar

13. jim_80

jim_80 Guest

thanks for the suggestions i as thinking about a amd 64 bit chip and a asus board guess i'll just have to shop around cos theres lots of good deals on the net and thank you all for your time. :)

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

No worries, pop back in anytime........................