1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Albumwrap extractor - MP3 file splitter

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Bike_13, May 26, 2003.

1. Bike_13

Bike_13 Guest

Hi all, anyone had problems with _ALBW files?

I have "procured" a few of these files, and whilst many work well (ie the shareware extractor "Albumwarp extractor v1.0" enables an extraction of the file), I have had two problems with ALBW files:

1. The file (though it has _ALBW in the filenames and IS ACTUALLY the album - all album tracks joined) will not be recognised as an ALBW file, so the extractor will not open/split it. It ends up being a painfully long (and innaccurate) process in MP3DirectCut to save each track individually.

Any ideas on fixing the files, or another "fast" splitting method?

2. The file is recognised as a ALBW file, and you can select the tracks to split the file out to. BUT, once you do this, the files are just different versions of the first file, chopped to the lenghts of the "correct" files (determined by the "correct" tracks play times.

Anyone know how to fix that (less often encountered) problem?

Thanks for any help, and keep ripping!

2. minix

minix Member

For the fast splitting method, there are a lot of threads in this forum.

I like Feurio:
    Open the Track Editor.
    Place the cursor where you want to split, and press "Split Tracks (linked)" (it's in the toolbar or the "Action" menu).
    It's non-destructive, so the MP3 file won't be modified.

3. Bike_13

Bike_13 Guest

Thanks Minix!

I have not used Feurio, but from what I can see on the web, it's a burning app.

I know it's not ideal (especially if you want to burn CDs from MP3 files), but I really am hoping to split the ALBW MP3 files into the individual tracks.

Should I want to burn these MP3s, I'll give Feurio a try (I normally use Nero - but I don't think it has the functionality that you mention above).

Again, thanks!

4. minix

minix Member

Yes, it's only for burning.
    The file will not be modified.

Nero has the same functionality, but it's slower and more uncomfortable. See the properties of the tracks and select the "indexes, splits tracks" tab.

If you make several MP3 files and the sound is continuous (live discs, DJ sessions), it'll be a pain to hear or burn the disc.

I don't have answers for the rest of the questions.

Last edited: May 26, 2003
  5. nik99

nik99 Regular member

dude..if the tracks have 2 sec gaps in them..then mp3direct cut ,can auto dtect silence and then split.pronto.

6. nik99

nik99 Regular member

dude..if the tracks have 2 sec gaps in them..then mp3direct cut ,can auto dtect silence and then split.pronto.

7. Bike_13

Bike_13 Guest

OK, will try that! Perhaps it'll at least break most of the ALBW file down. Let's see (will update)!

UPDATE: Works pretty well for MP3s with Gaps - Thanks! Gotta love MP3DirectCut!

(now I just have to find a solution for those mixed MP3s ;-( )_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bike_13 - Invisible, because I'm gone before you see me ...[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2003
  8. nik99

nik99 Regular member

ya..even im trying ..for mixed mp3's

9. nik99

nik99 Regular member

hey,,even i encountered the first problm u mentioned..

I have a few .mp3 "albums" that ALBW sees as being "invalid". They play as WHOLE mp3 files, but I would like to break them down. Is there another "ALBW" type "UNWRAPPER" that might work?
    On these files evn mp3 direct cut doenst work...since ther anrt too many gaps..

heard of mp3 split 1.8 ..but i runs only in MS-DOS...havent figured that out yet..havnt workd in dos evr..
    any others..

10. Bike_13

Bike_13 Guest

Cool, then I am not losing it (well, I probably am but that's another story).

I have (sort of) given in - and on albums, am using Mp3DirectCut "Gap Detect" and freedb searched track lisings and times to cut up the file.

On mixed compilations, I HAVE given up - now using Mp3DirectCut to create cue sheets with which to burn the MP3s.

Certainly gonna keep watching the thread though ....

11. nik99

nik99 Regular member

ya bike--
    mp3 direct cut works on most..but uve got to check carefully
    ..many times it might cut evn at wrong places..

u v got to play woith the settings of duration and silnce threshold to get the proper one for each track..
    iv got errors ..with the normal settings of 2.1 sceonds..

and BTW wat do ya mean by "freedb searched track lisings and times to cut up the file. "
    can u explain..

also did u try the mp3 split..heard its good..but i cannot figure out how to use it thru DOS..

12. Bike_13

Bike_13 Guest

When I have a ALBW file of an album (that I can't split for one reason or another) I often use the track times from www.freedb.org to help me get the right track start/end.

Tricky/time consuming, but it works OK.

13. nik99

nik99 Regular member

ok ,,know what u mean..
    hav tried it cupla times..very time consuming ..
    though track times are off sometimes +/- 10 secs and u hav tokeep a sharp ear..

not worth it though
    takes morethan half an hour to split a 75 min track into 15 tracks or so..

14. Ooma

Ooma Member

15. nik99

nik99 Regular member

wat do ya mean by 'all the same'tracks..?

16. Ooma

Ooma Member

Point 2. in original post - where you extract the files and although tracks are listed correctly all play the same (first) track.