1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All CDs/DVDs appear as blank in Explorer/My Computer (WinXP)

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Moorish, May 12, 2004.

1. Moorish

Moorish Guest

I hope I've put this in the right forum, apologies if not! I've also searched the forums but as I'm not getting any error as such (see below) it's difficult to find anything relevent.

Basically any CD or DVD, whether it be an R/RW or a professionally printed software/audio disc appears as a blank CD in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

However, applications such as Winamp can view the contents of the CD and play them (if it's audio obviously) and Nero can also.

I have tried completely uninstalling and re-installing the CD drivers and the IDE channel drivers to no avail.

The drive is a Matshita UJDA750 DVD/CDRW plug-in module for my Acer laptop. I'm running Windows XP with SP1 and all the latest updates.

I have also tried installing the latest Adaptec ASPI layer.

This obviously isn't a hardware problem so I'm a bit confused as to what to do next.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. jbritz22

jbritz22 Member

The only suggestions I have are buying a new cd drive. Because there probably isnt much wrong if you can see it in My Computer, or reinstall windows! If you see it on the list of available drives its not software-problem-wise, (most of the times). Or maybe get your money back with warranty?

EDIT - Do you have the drivers installed for the cd-rom?

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  3. Hemispasm

Hemispasm Member

Try using ASPI v4.60 and updating the drivers for your bus/chipset drivers. What chipset does your motherboard have? Try using drivers other than the default MS ones.