1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All I need to burn, a DVDs is a Sledge hammer and a flame thrower.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sprogg, Jan 13, 2005.

1. sprogg

sprogg Member

I have tried 9 times at £1.60 a throw per dvd to burn a converted xvid file to dvd, each time tyring somthing different each time trying a differnt burning speed

12x
    8x
    6x
    4x
    2x

used avi and ac3 audio in a TS folder got to 18%
    used mpeg 2 audio format instead of ac3 got to 16%
    converted Video_Ts to image, ISO got to 1%
    used TMPGenc burner got to 26%
    used Nero didnt start just hung and wasted a disk 0%
    used Cheetah dvd burner got to 2%
    used alchol 120% to convert to ISO and burn got to 46%
    Deleted any menus or chapters in the TS_folder 52%
    forgot what I dint the 9th time but it didnt work either

I can play the files on my pc fine no skiping or quailty problems

Im using a NEC 12x DVD-RW, 512 ram, xp no antivirus, firewall, or netconnection or any other programs when burning?

Im using Hyundai DVD-R yeah I know they should have stuck to making cars. but the disks are good and I have prev burnt a image to the disk no playback problems at all.

each time the error message is the same either you "encountered a bufferunderun or, your dvd media is crap" or unxpected error, or

and each time I have to restart my whole machine just to get it to respond and eject the now.. well cokd up disk.

is there anyway to test the file for crc errors or header problems?

????? advise, please, or its back to the stone age, with fred an barny forget B.C. try B.DVD.

2. hursty

hursty Active member

£1.60 per disc!!!thats a rip off!!!are you in uk??
    i use nero vision xpress without fail,with infinitix4dvd-r(£.32pence each)max speed 4
    if you are failing so much,you must have corrupt files.
    i have a whole bunch of divx files i am currently converting,i check them first through windows media,nero image,before i transcode them,and delete the bad files.

3. Gringle

Gringle Guest

sprog if you're paying £1.60 for a DVD somewhere here in the UK! I can only assume your custodians, that the folk in the white coats are making a fortune out of you!

Try and get a message through to these people and they will sell you all the genuine Ritek Go5s' you can use at £0.25 each of course plus Delivery, which in your case might be a throw over the wall at a certain place and time. http://www.rambox.co.uk/

regards gringle

4. ispy

ispy Regular member

sprogg,
    You must earn too much to throw money away like that! Check here for better media quality & price as gringle said G05 burn @ 4x.
    Cheers ispy

5. sprogg

sprogg Member

what makes the quality of the media better? it says nothing that my disks dont... 120min... 8x
    do you think maybe its my type of burner, is there any dvd- burner that you can use that has at least 99% acuracy cause I swear Im not even getting 15% of my disk to survive the burn. what can improve your chances?

6. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Media choice makes a [bold]HUGE[/bold] difference. The reason being that different companys use different formulas and dyes to produce their discs.

That said, Memorex is a good example. They made a name for themselves making VHS and analog tapes, and are trying to ride that success and brand recognition to make dvd media. They have failed miserably so far. I've heard that most Memorex have up to a 75% to 80% failure rate. They use the CMC formula which is notoriously junky.

The best luck I've had is with media that is made in either Singapore or Japan, using the MCC formula. (MCC = Mitsubishi Chemical Corp)

Verbatim is a good example. Most of their products use the MCC formula. I personally use FujiFilm DVD-RW's and haven't had any problems. Fuji is a subsidiary of Verbatim.

The best type I've heard people using on AD would have to be Ritek/Ridata. Very good reports on them.

I also recommend NOT to burn any faster than 4x. You even go slower if you need to.

I don't know what formula or what manufacturer that Hyundai uses, I would definitely check them out or call them and ask.

7. sprogg

sprogg Member

thanks I will look into this, quality nonsense ;), and order some more disks, but still, equating the possible chance that the dvds are useless and will fail 90% of the time statisticaly I should have managed to burn at least 1 by sheer luck by now!

thanks for you help guys

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Sprogg,
    Can you burn anything with those disks? Like data?
    Bad media quality is not ushually a problem with the burning process, but rather instead the overall finished product. Bad media ushually won't play well because the quality just isnt that good. Giive Nero Vision Express a try it is the most dependable program for converting to DVD compliant files (I assume you are converting the file first?) Remember no just plain Nero or Nero Express but [bold]Nero Vision Express[/bold] I think you will find this to work out well for you. Your conversion just may not have been done proper, but NVE will do this for you :) You should also try updating your firmware to your DVD Rom just in case it is having problems with media.

9. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2005
  10. sprogg

sprogg Member

I gave it a try last night with a different vid file and the same one I was having problems with.

Funnily enough as soon as it asked me to select a recorder it frooze and came up with the BSOD, hardware faliure? reboot and try again same problem, Ive had it 3 days? suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  11. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

You may want to get hold of some RW discs and use those till you figure out how to get the whole process to work so you dont keep wasting discs. Will save you some money.

Also i did a search for Hyundai discs on www.videohelp.com and came up with the dye being Taiyo Yuden. Given that these are generally accepted as being the best discs around, it is quite possible these are fakes as there are quite a lot of TY fakes around.

12. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

funny, i just bought memorex printable discs at bestbuy, was the only printable they had. spindle of 25, burned about 5 now,,not a prob with either..........go figure!