1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All- in-one printers, what do you think?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by james636, Feb 28, 2007.

1. james636

james636 Member

My wife and I was thinking of upgrading our printer to an all-in-one printer. How do you guys feel about all-in-one printers? We were at walmart yesterday and nearly bought this printer

HP Deskjet F340

And before I started looking at consumer reviews, I was seriously considering purchasing this printer

Epson Stylus CX5000

After reading all the reviews on printers that were in our budget, I'm now terrified and confused; I don't know what to buy now :unsure:

My wife and I don't do alot of printing, (although I do plan on printing out the entire ComptIA A+ guide) but when we do, we'd like for the printer to print fairly quick and with decent quality. We sometimes found ourselves needing something copied and didn't have a copier, hence, all-in-one. We surely don't want to spend $100 on a lemon :thumbsdown:

I know the durability of a printer mostly depends on the frequency of use, but it seemed as if most of the consumer really blasted Epson straight out of the box. Besides printing out the entire ComptIA A+ guide, my wife and I really don't print alot.......... really :whistle: As a matter of fact, my current printer is a EPSON C40UX :blink: Hey, it came packaged with a dell system I bought back in 2002. It's very slow and I often have ink issues.

Do you guys think that the two printers I posted are really as bad as most reviews suggest? Does anyone here have either of the printers that I listed?

Man, I went from having a printer in my cart to terrified and confused.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Well i have the Epson printer and so far so good. But have only had it a few months and do not print very often. Pretty much all printers these days are a pile of junk. Every printer i have had over the past 5-6 years printed ok for about a year and then went south on me. plus the price of replacing both ink cartridges is almost as much as just buying another cheap printer. I owned an Epson before quite a while ago and it was a great printer and lasted a long time, which is why i bought the Epson again and am just hoping for the best. I have never owned an HP printer. Steer clear of Lexmark for sure.

3. james636

james636 Member

Thanx for your reply steimy:) Like you, I too currently own an epson printer, the C40UX. I was leaning towards another Epson until I heard all the negative reviews that Epson recieved.

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't print very often but I do plan on printing the ComptIA A+ guide.

Does anyone else have any good suggestions as Steimy was so kind to leave.

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I have an HP Photosmart 7960. Got it so that I could print good quality pictures. It is not an all in one. Did not buy one of those because I already had a good scanner.

Have had several HP printers over the years. All have been good to me. Biggest complaint is the ink. Cartridges used to be larger. Now they keep getting smaller and more of them (single color). The things just seem to guzzle ink. The companies could GIVE the printers away once they addict you to the ink!

Not sure what the latest models are. They keep changing faster than computers. Bought an HP all in one for the daughter last year and she is happy. Don't even recall the model. So, guess I am an HP fan; would recommend their printers to you.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you going to print mostly black & white? how often do you print?

6. james636

james636 Member

Mostly Black and White and about 25 pages a month.

Well its a wait and see thing now; I've just purchased the Epson Stylus CX5000V

After comparing prices at my local BestBuy, Super Target, Circuit City, and Office Max, It came down to two things: price and the fact that the Epson allows you to purchase only the cartridge that you need.

I must say that I was very close to purchasing the HP PhotoSmart C3180 All-In-One Printer (which wasn't originally on my list because of the prices I saw online) from Office Max. It was on sale for $79.99 (20.00 instant rebate) But Office Max was my first stop and I wanted to check the other stores before I made my decision. Thats when I came across the Epson Stylus CX5000V at Super Target for only $69.99. At that point, there was no more debating.

I don't have it connected yet, but when I do, I'll report back:)

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if you had done more black & white, would have suggested an all in 1 laser printer like the brother 7020

8. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

Have you ever heard of the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none"?

I have a personal issue with convergence devices. Get a decent printer instead (research things like ink/toner cost and average longevity of the product). You didn't mention whether you scan or fax, but a cheap scanner can be had for about $50 that is of better quality than the built-in of an AIO.

I also have issues with HP. Everything about them is more expensive. You'll find that OEM ink for their inkjets is always more expensive than other brands because they have circuitry built into each cartridge that helps with speed.

I'm a big fan of both Canon and Epson.

9. james636

james636 Member

I don't fax at all and I really don't scan that much, so the idea of purchasing a scanner and a printer made no since.

I have an Epson :)

10. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

I disagree with Skylynx about trying to buy separate devices. AIO's have come a long way, and many of them function very well. I have a canon MP550 AIO, and its amazing... printing, copying, scanning, etc etc... everything is fast, and beautiful, not to mention you can customize many of the features. I got it for 50 dollars after a 100 dollar rebate from apple for buying a Core2Duo Macbook :) but that was a few months ago so maybe they're cheaper now???

And as far as ink... If you're only printing black and white... you know you can get black ink "refills" for less then ten bucks? I refill my black ink every time i run out, and so far in about 3 months, I've refilled black 4 times for the same ten dollars... on diff printers :D

11. james636

james636 Member

Point well made

12. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

The bottom line is that you should go with your needs. If you never fax and hardly ever scan, then why have a bulky AIO sitting on your desk?

Also, refilling inkjet cartridges doesn't sound like best idea. You may be saving money, but just wait until it breaks and leaks ink all over the internals of your new printer.

Also, if you only print in black... why not go with a laser?