1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All my free space is disappearing. Why?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by alledge, Mar 27, 2005.

1. alledge

alledge Member

I'm using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. After I delete the backed up files off my computer, I still have NO free space. Is there a hidden folder somewhere where these files are going? Help! I need my space back! Thank you.

2. Daemon404

Daemon404 Regular member

Do you have Norton Anti-Virus or otehr Norton products on your PC? If so, then it's creating backups for restore or something. Right click on your Recycle Bin and if there is an Option in teh lines of "Purge Norton Protected Files", click it and selecr Purge All.

3. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Check your hard disk to make sure no files were put there by defualt (click start,open my computer and click on the hard drive). Run your disk cleaner (click on start, click on control panel, click on Preformance and Maintenance and select free up space on hard disc.

Download software to clean up your disc.

4. Daemon404

Daemon404 Regular member

One last thing to try is deleting some old system resore points.

5. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

bloody hell Noqoilpi , good work. i'm mainly a Unix bod meself, so use the good ole 'du -sk *' to get that info at work, but it frustrates me that Windows isn't as helpful. Well it is now!, cheers

7. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

@ creaky
    Bill packs a load of crap in XP. I am still tweaking and finding hiding spots. My lastest find is this goodie.

Can't remember where I found this one. IRC SPY maybe?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

alledge, are you talking about 4+ GB or more space you think you should have after you burn or are you talking about a few hundred MB here and there? If the former, did you uncheck the 'Delete image file' box in Nero? You can use Windows' search feature to find file sizes larger than 100+ MB on your PC too.

9. alledge

alledge Member

Thanks for all the helpful stuff guys! I'll try them when I get the chance and let you all know the results.

=====>DogBomb<===== Yeah, it's like 4GB+, not just a few bytes here and there.

10. alledge

alledge Member

Hey! Ok, I did what DogBomb suggested and looked up files larger than 1GB through windows explorer and found them! And delted the dang things! I have room now! Thank you all!