1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All this headache, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by SevenVII, Nov 29, 2002.

1. SevenVII

SevenVII Member

I have been dieing to get a DVD burner and i just recently purchased the Sony DRU500a. I was wondering, if most ofyou had it to do over again, would you have bought one? It seems like there is a lot of trouble and its not very easy to convert layer-9s to layer-5s.

I love DVDs and the main reason I got this was to extend my collection, but it sounds like you have to chop the hell out of the DVDs and reduce the quality to make them fit on the media that is out there now. I am kind of hesitant now about ordering mine and I havent even got it yet. Seems like a lot of time and effort has to be put into it, anyone think it will get easier, faster in the future?

Just like to hear some opinions, again I havent even started to burn, rip, all the good stuff yet, just have been reading the forums. Seem like a lot of people are having a lot of problems finding compatability, encoding, ripping, menus, etc...

2. Krs12

Krs12 Guest

I definitely think it is worth it. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't as complicated as you think. I personally prefer to split a DVD-9 to 2 discs and set up the 2nd disc to auto-start. There are also alot of DVD-5 movies that are a great addition to any collection, and are faily simply to back-up following the guides.

3. endothorn

endothorn Guest

How many times do u watch the extras on a dvd?
    How many different languages do you know?

Thats what I thought. Once you have stripped out the menu's ,extras & god knows how many different soundtracks & subtitles your usually left with a movie smaller than 4.7gb. Once you get used to it its very easy if you use the right programs & there are always people here willing to help you on your way.

4. Neodd

Neodd Guest

Krs12: I am a newbie at DVD burning and i would like to know how you split the DVD 9 format to fit onto 2 DVDs Because I do not like the way the video looks after being compressed to fit onto a DVD 5 formatted disc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

5. crazas1

crazas1 Member

I just started backing up my DVDs yesterday, even if I`m not a computer guru I think it is VERY easy, just made 2 that fits each one in just one disc and I tell you, there is no resolution lost in the process

6. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

lets see...
    is it worth it??
    oh yea!! once you get a streamlined method, its not that bad. a full dvd-9 to dvd-5 with transcoding, approx 6 hours.
    'knowledge is power, spread the power'
    ps
    does anyone know when they will be implementing the watermark encryption inot dvd movies?
    also, since we have 1st and 2nd gen burners, will our burners even read the watermarks (like old vcrs that didn't have macrovision, you could use it to dub from other newer vcrs without the macrovision thing?)

peace, seamonkey420

7. SevenVII

SevenVII Member

seamonky, in your guide I cant get the link to work going to the split dvd to 2 dvds. Step 3i, I think it is.

8. DVDPlanet

DVDPlanet Guest

burnin a DVD is as easy as 1,2, and 3

RIP, STRIP OR SPLIT and then BURN
    It's as simple as that, even an Idiot can do that without a problem and so can you.

9. BurnChamp

BurnChamp Guest

What's the difference between DVD-5 and DVD-9?

10. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

>>> ... what's the difference ... <<<

DVD-9
    -DVD-5
    -------
    =DVD-4

DVD-4 I think!

(no?)

-- A bored Klingon --

11. sublime77

sublime77 Member

DVD-9 is about twice the size of a DVD-5. DVD-5 = DVD+RW size... 5gig and 9gig