1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AlltooAvi GUI - MKV to avi

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by karmawind, Feb 8, 2007.

1. karmawind

karmawind Member

HI.

After reading through various threads and guides, I'ved managed to use MKVextractGUI to extract the vid(h264) and mp3. However, when i try to convert this with AlltoAVI gui i end up with a weird result. Basically, the file (avi) is half the original size and the play time is half the original as well. This is because the video is playing at twice the normal speed.

Can anyone help me out? I'm a newbie at this kind of this so it might be an obviious solution but I'm lost =(

Thanks!

2. karmawind

karmawind Member

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Surely with alltoavi you can just load the mkv directly? Converting the raw video is asking for trouble since the framerate may not be detected properly and if the source was VFR (yes a reason why they don't just use a avi with mp3 and Xvid like the rest of them) then the file will not sync.

4. karmawind

karmawind Member

Thanks for the reply celtic_d.

I've just tried loading the kmv directly, but there's still an out of sync. It appears that the video is lagging behind. I noticed that the video is approx. 2 minutes longer than the original. I would pressume this has something to do with the VFR of the file, and during the convertion the framerates are standardnised. Is three anyway around this?

Cheers!

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well avi only supports CFR. Doesn't mean that you can't get it to sync, just means poor motion due to dupes, etc. to get everything the same framerate. One way around is to convert to ~120fps.
    23.976 * 5 = 119.88
    29.970 * 4 = 119.88