1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alright wondows is killing me

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by prutsos, Apr 11, 2007.

1. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

when ever I connect a IDE to usb adapter it says it is installing it but then says that the installation isinterrupted and the new hardware might not work right and it doesnt so please help

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

u could talk about this in your other thread were you talk about the usb adapter not working. but you should try just putting the hard drive in the computer

3. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

please tell me how to do that

4. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

take side off computer.
    find a ide cable(one that fits the long plug on the back of the drive with all the pins in it)
    switch hard drive to slave(look on drive for instruction)
    plug in ide cable
    turn on computer

5. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

ok but when i do that it starts up but freezes why??

6. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ok ive had that problem before. cheack that the drive is in slave mode. also try connecting the ide cable to the drive after the computer goes to the windows loading splash screen. but a warning connecting a hard drive while the computer is on is not always the smartes thing to do but it can stop the computer from freezing

7. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

it still freezes what is bios does that have something to do with it

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Not really very good advice is it..

Reasons not to do this.. Dead motherboard, HDD and PSU comes to mind.
    the windows splash screen is way after the post and bios has loaded, so it is unlikely to find the drive anyway.

From the other thread about exactly the same thing it's sounding like this drive is dead. That or there is a jumper conflict, or some other setting is wrong..

We're not psychic and we really don't have enough to go on.

9. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

well i did say in my post that it wasnt the smartest thing to do but it worked for me

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Your point being?

If you give people potentially damaging/dangerous advice you are supposed to point out the possible consequences of the action.

Connecting hardware to an already running system is risky.

If the usb device is set up properly (i.e..powered as it should be), then windows should detect it as a mass storage device, regardless of the format.. I have tried this with many drives, formatted in many different ways and all working drives have detected in XP.

As he doesn't know how to get into the bios on the pc then hot plugging isn't in most cases going to achieve anything. PC hardware doesn't usually detect additional IDE hard drives after the POST routine has completed.. Which for info is before the windows splash screen begins.

To get into bios settings and enable/detect HDD a search for the motherboard/bios access is needed.. What's the betting that at the start of the boot sequence there is an instruction similar to "press F8..or delete.. or another key" to enter setup??

We have here another one who posts before investigating anything for themselves. Two threads on the same subject.. both already answered. Great for boosting post count.. but very fruatrating nonetheless.