1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alternative operating systems for all macintosh platforms

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by johnodd4, May 17, 2006.

1. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

well i decided to write this for people who dont want to use mac os x or just want to run windows on a macintosh or even linux
    well lets begin

windows:

if you want to run windows on mac there are several options

1. bootcamp: allthough still in the beta stages this option will be most common on intel based macs

good: this application gives you the option to choose which os to boot

bad: this application leaves hundreds of thousands of mac owners that do not have a intel procesoor out in the cold.

2. virutal pc 7: this option is common for all mac users that do not have a intel based processor

good:nice application but has problems with emulating windows fast enough

bad: to expensive processor entensive only supports windows xp doesnt support 98 2000 me

2. cheapest if you can find it on ebay is connectix virtual pc 6 is basiclly virtual pc 7 with better support for older and newer operating systems

now lets talk about linux

there is only one version of linux i would recommend for mac because it works and functions with mac os x drawback is you loose mac os 9.2.2 but it is still the most easyiest solution for linux on mac it is freeware but you have to download it from the manufactures webpage via legal bittorrent this application is fully open source

and last but not least 2 other not so popular options

1.imac and tower firmware hack this option basiclly updates the firmware on the mac to convert the mac into a ibm computer drawback once this is done you are never going to run mac os x again

2.unix-drawbacks no os x support on mac version

2. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

oops i forgot to name the linux application it is called yellowdog linux