1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alternative to ac charger?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by HG27, Dec 12, 2009.

1. HG27

HG27 Guest

I got a canon powershot a590 is and was wondering if I could use a pc power supply to power it. Instead of using the official ac charger, the lowest output on the 300w power supply is 3.3v 20A which is .1 v higher than the rated 3.2v for the camera. I was reading that the voltage is what you really got to worry about and that a high current was ok.

I should probably bring the voltage down to the 3.2v right? Though wouldn't a current of 20A just fry a regular resistor?

I know the official chargers are not that much but I wanted to see if I could save some dough. ;)

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

if you get the polarity wrong you will fry more than a resistor.. is the price of a new camera worth the saving a couple of quid that using an unsuitable psu will gain you?

how do you propose to start up the psu if it isn't attached to the rest of a computer? .. do you know the polarity of the camera socket?

and just a final point.. a pc psu 3v3 rail isn't the best regulated in the world.. I have seen them chuck out up to 9v offload.

3. HG27

HG27 Guest

When you put it that way it does sound more logical to use the proper ac adapter. Though I was reading this guide over on instructables and thought it was pretty cool; considering I have a 300W power supply just laying around.

-ATX PS to Regular DC PS (for labs)

Found the proper ACK800 kit (not oem but same specs) for $12 each. I think I'll go that route in the end.

Though I bet the power supply could be used for basic circuit analysis and testing stuff.

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

It can, the problem is starting them up without a mobo. Lots of modern psu's simply won't start unless they are connected to a working pc. If it was an old power up and run AT psu it would be a different matter. ;)

5. HG27

HG27 Guest

Interesting the power supply is old I would say (not very old, but still) got it like 3-4 years ago.

It is an ISO switching power supply
    Model No: ISO-400 4
    Max output 300W(+12V,+5V&3.3V total)

Cause that guide I linked to said that by shorting the green wire to the black (ie gnd) that you could make the PS be controlled by the on/off switch in the back. Regardless of connection to actual PC.