1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Altnerative to miracast with unsupported wifi card in Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by tralfuz, Feb 28, 2015.

1. tralfuz

tralfuz Member

First I'll apologize because I have a very limited understanding of all these things. After spending too many hours trying to figure out why windows 8.1 wouldn't let me connect to the dongle I got to pair my tv to my laptop, I think I figured out that my laptop's wifi card isn't on the list of miracast supported wifi cards.

My question is this: does that mean I can't cast to my tv? Are there alternatives to miracast, chromecast, etc. for Windows 8.1 ? The more I look for info, the more confused I get.

repairmyphone likes this.
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The dongle is on the tv hdmi port & broadcasts a wifi signal ?,from what i understand miracast uses an adhoc std wifi signal whatever the hell that means,i don't get what supported cards has to do with anything there's thousands of them all using what i assume is a international std.The only thing a ican suggest is are you using the correct adapter setting on the pc well there's different settings like
    wpa
    wpa2
    & other crap like ipv4 or ipv6.
    so see if you can match the signal output of the dongle with the required adapter setting,for all anyone may know the dongle could be on ipv4 wpa2 while your pc is on a completely different frequency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

edit:better option use a hdmi cable direct to laptop

3. tralfuz

tralfuz Member

Thnx for the reply. I'm reluctant to use hdmi cables on my last laptop because I think (maybe I'm wrong) it fried my gpu on my last laptop.

I'll look into your suggestions when I have some more time. It's clear I have a lotta learnin to do if I can get this happening. I glanced at the wikipedia article a couple days ago. It mentions that miracast only works on wifi Direct supported devices, and my 2012 ralink wifi card might not be wifi direct certified.

I have a newer laptop running Windows 8.1, but it won't recognize the dongle. I've seen lots of forums with people in the same boat. I've been trying several approaches but none have worked yet.

I might try splashtop or mirrorop to see where that leads me.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015