1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I actually getting true surround?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by 5882300, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 5882300

5882300 Member

This is the question I've had over the last day or two, stemming from a single issue I've encountered while trying to listen to a SACD.

The components involved are a ps3 and a Pioneer VSX-917V.

Suffice it to say I was perfectly content until this one SACD, Dark Side of the Moon. If you've read my other post you'll know that I'm only getting the front R/L audio portion of the ambient noise start to "Money". But then the rest of the song kick in and it sounds like it should. Or does it?

I've been perfectly happy until this point. I just can't for the life of me figure out why I'm not getting this audio when all the speakers work....

As far as technical details go, I have my ps3 hooked up to my HDtv via HDMI, and then optical for audio. Why? The receiver does support HDMI audio but the manual states "Since the HDMI audio signal is sent through this receiver to your tv, you need to make separate connections for audio if you want to hear your HDMI component through the system." Is there a better way for me to hook up my audio?

I have a reasonably good ear, and it sounds to me as if the audio is being properly separated. But this problem with "Money" suggests that it's playing two channel audio and doing a forced surround, simply playing audio out of all speakers.

I'm at all a real loss, guys. Can anyone help me out?

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon was done in the mid 70's b4 multi channel recording was present ( this SACD my not even have been a Quad discrete master- if one was made). So the 2 channel White noise u hear may be what the recording engineer and mastering engineer can do to make this sound like a multichannel SACD recording. I don't know if my explanation helps any.

3. JVC

JVC Active member

It looks like your receiver is a pass through for HDMI, for easy video switching. It doesn't process audio over HDMI, which is the only way of hearing sacds in 5.1, from a ps3. Can't play the high res tracks from sacd over an optical connection (a copyright thing). If it has DD or DTS tracks, you can listen to them.

4. 5882300

5882300 Member

Ah, now that makes sense to me. So even if I switch to using HDMI for audio from my receiver to tv it still won't make a difference, correct?

5. JVC

JVC Active member

right, it shouldn't make a difference.
    Of course, you can always try it, and see if you can tell.......

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

The biggest problem here is that a PS3 is primarily a games console, not a High Resolution Audio playback device.
    Iluvendo is completely mistaken as well - you can safely ignore what is said in that post as this disc is a full, discrete 5.1 remix from the original multitrack recordings. It is true & genuine surround.

What is possible is that your PS3 may not be in SACD Multichannel mode, or your reciever may not be set to multichannel mode, and you may well be getting stereo played back through Dolby ProLogic II decoders.
    Check all settings & setups carefully.

7. 5882300

5882300 Member

I'm happy to say the issue wasn't my ps3, and that I was hooking everything up correctly. The problem was my receiver, so it's since been replaced with the Yamaha 661. It converts the super audio to pcm and plays it over hdmi. I'm getting the proper channel separation and it sounds great. Thanks for all your help... :)