1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I paranoid!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DVDster, Jan 17, 2004.

1. DVDster

DVDster Member

Hey guys I was just curious is there a possibility while backing up DVD's that their is a message sent through the internet to movie companies that inform them that their product is being decrypted, etc. I just dont want to wake up and have federal agents standing outside my house. I realize all I would have to do is just have to unhook the cable modem to prevent all this. However that just sucks too.

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

being paranoid isnt a bad thing how about doing all your decrypting on another pc not connected to the net as smarter people than you have been caught

3. DVDster

DVDster Member

That makes sence but it not possible to use a different PC in my case. Has any one heard of that happening.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Q why are you multiposting you arent really paranoid are you

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2004
  5. DVDster

DVDster Member

I just have never used this forum before. I have had better luck with responses when I have posted twice. sorry

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

No, you are being paranoid. If you are really concerned get a firewall that examines outgoing packets and only lets allowed programs transmit to the internet. Some programs like Microsoft Media player and Winamp report anonmyous useage statistics, but that can be turned on or off.

You are allowed to make backups of your personal software/games/dvds under fair use laws, so even if such things were transmitted (which they are not) how would they determine if you were doing anything other than what is allowed by fair use laws?